nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
9/9/18 7:06 p.m.
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/10/18 12:27 a.m.

I'm going to say it here and now: vintage dirt bikes are the next big thing. We are all going to be kicking ourselves for not buying that running, original Elsinore for $300 when they start selling for 2 grand. 

Mark my words.

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish New Reader
9/10/18 7:17 a.m.

I sure hope they're the next big thing.  I'm into mine for about $700 right now, including new tires.  I have no emotional attachment to it whatsoever and would gladly sell it for an outrageously high price.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
9/10/18 7:17 a.m.

Maybe, maybe not.

The 'problem' is 90% of them were two strokes. A lot of guys (me included) didn't grow up with them, don't understand them, don't really like them or the power band, etc.  The poor resale value of most anything two stroke (some exceptions like the RD400) supports my theory. There is a small, devoted group that is into these already but I think there are way more bikes than people who have an interest.

I've considered getting one myself but it would be a 4 stroke thumper, which pretty much means a Honda XL.

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish New Reader
9/11/18 8:23 a.m.
ddavidv said:

Maybe, maybe not.

The 'problem' is 90% of them were two strokes. A lot of guys (me included) didn't grow up with them, don't understand them, don't really like them or the power band, etc.  The poor resale value of most anything two stroke (some exceptions like the RD400) supports my theory. There is a small, devoted group that is into these already but I think there are way more bikes than people who have an interest.

I've considered getting one myself but it would be a 4 stroke thumper, which pretty much means a Honda XL.

I didn't grow up with two strokes, didn't really understand them, and didn't know what to expect from the powerband.  I tore down and rebuilt the engine as time allowed, and it was silly how cheap and easy it was.  Bore, hone, and chamfer was $50.  Parts are cheap (except for things like the magneto and sprocket covers).  I'm hoping to sort out the electrical, ride the thing some, and possibly sell it in the spring to help fund the next one.

The powerband is different than a four stroke, but these aren't race bikes.  They tractor along in first gear like it's no big deal.  Mine has super predictable power delivery down low, but it does come alive when you want it to.  I would have no qualms about teaching someone to ride on it.

I'd like to do an XL, XR, or even something like a Suzuki SP370 someday, but I don't think it's possible without a much higher buy-in.  The SP's are cool, but rare.  The Hondas are pricey.

Either way, I'd recommend a vintage two stroke as a fun, cheap project.  If someone wants to buy it when it's complete, even better.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
9/11/18 9:17 a.m.

I wonder if it is a TS250...parts could have been swapped around over the years, but it looks more like a PE250 which was an enduro bike.  Unfortunately that model wasn't street legal.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
9/11/18 9:23 a.m.

Yes, I especially like the bigger 2-strokes from back then.  Some day I hope to build a gnarly street/gravel creature out of an IT400, maybe something like this:  

Cooter
Cooter Dork
9/11/18 9:44 a.m.

Two strokes are already starting to pull decent/big money. Look at the CR500/KX500/Yamaha 465s, and especially the metal tank Huskys. 

As far as 4 strokes go, the TT/XT500 is also pulling decent prices.

Most of the vintage dirt bikes have gone up considerably in the past year or so.  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/11/18 9:46 a.m.

Told ya.

Cooter
Cooter Dork
9/11/18 9:49 a.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

Nope. That's a TS. With the tail light and turn signals taken/ripped off for trail riding, and a seat made out of random foam and plywood. 

IMHO, it is priced at least double its value, with how beat up it is .

Cooter
Cooter Dork
9/11/18 9:56 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

LoL!  The CR Eslinores are already pulling well over $2k, and the MT and MRs are starting to climb up the ladder, as well.  (But I expect you already knew that) wink

I really need to get my hands on an IT465, MT250, and a Husky XC500 before they are all out of reach.  

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
9/11/18 11:23 a.m.

TS is a great bike!  Stay away from the TC which looks like the TS but has a lever that changes the primary reduction ratio in the gearbox.  TC tend to eat the gearbox.  

Yes two stroke. it has oil injection but also needs some premix in the tank too!  You can not do away with the oil injection as it lubes the crank bearing directly and the rotary valve.

They are great bikes just a few small quirks to keep'em running.

D2W
D2W HalfDork
9/11/18 4:24 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Yes, I especially like the bigger 2-strokes from back then.  Some day I hope to build a gnarly street/gravel creature out of an IT400, maybe something like this:  

I have an IT400 sitting in my shop now. It was my dad's bike that he bought new. It is a total beast of a bike that feels like it wants to kill you. I'm going to make something between a cafe and street tracker.

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish New Reader
9/12/18 7:43 a.m.
44Dwarf said:

Yes two stroke. it has oil injection but also needs some premix in the tank too!  You can not do away with the oil injection as it lubes the crank bearing directly and the rotary valve.

Huh?  True, you cannot delete the oil injection system without devising a way to keep the left side crank bearing lubed, but premix in the tank?  Not necessary, but I know a few guys who can't seem to trust oil injection, so they run premix.

maj75
maj75 HalfDork
9/26/18 8:13 p.m.

I don’t think the TS250 has a rotary valve.

I always run a bit of premix in the tank of a 2 stroke.  I ran Belray back in the day on my 750 Triple Kawasaki and synthetic in the DT 250 Yamaha I had.  I don’t run it at the full premix formula.  Just a couple of capfuls per tank.  I’m considering buying a Bultaco Alpina and doing a restoration but I’m wary of the parts availability.  Many seem to be available from Spain, but I’m guessing shipping is expensive and customer service is dodgy.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
9/27/18 9:01 a.m.

In reply to bigeyedfish :

Some bikes you can eliminate the injection some you can not. For example Yamaha RD350's toss the tank unbolt the pump run 50:1 premix no problem.  Kaw F7's and Suz TS/TC you can not run just on premix, due to injected oil feeding bearings and rotary valves the later TS moved to reed / port timing but the oil line to the crank bearing remained.  

Keep the pump is always my recommendation as the MFG paid someone to design it and they had to warranty it so it should work correctly.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AmPwiKRPAR600ESdSGl7HDMQ05CbuxdcdMUXI58mr9Ml3BkFJsFW6WgWBgLPTARh