dculberson
dculberson HalfDork
3/14/12 12:05 p.m.

I've had my KLR 650 for three years now, going on four, and still enjoy riding it. But I had an acquaintance approach me wanting a KLR, and it looks like I can get a decent price out of it. Being the typical gearhead, I of course always see other bikes I want. So I'm thinking about selling it and trying an inline 4 bike, nothing nuts but something like a CBR600 F4i or an FZ6. I never actually dual sport the KLR; I had planned to but with Lemons racing and all the other projects going on I just don't have time, so it's just strictly a street bike for me. The ride height is awesome and I love the utilitarian looks. But I feel ready for something different.

Maybe I'll regret it, but I think I'll make him an offer and see what happens. It's not like KLR's are rare so if I decide I must have one back I can always get another.

-David

Edit: I really want to try a WR250x but look at the prices! DAMN! I can get an FZ6 for less money and it's way more bike. Just without the awesome Supermoto looks.

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
3/14/12 12:51 p.m.

If it was me, I'd sell it. If you have a decent offer on the table and you are kinda bored with it, why not? Like you said, if it really is the right bike for you, there are a ton of KLRs available.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UberDork
3/14/12 1:30 p.m.

You feel ready for something different, and a person wants what you're thinking about getting rid of.

Like you say, if you want another, it's not like KLRs are rare expensive or hard to find.

ddavidv
ddavidv UberDork
3/14/12 2:52 p.m.

Sell it. But you'll be back. They always come back.

dculberson
dculberson HalfDork
3/14/12 3:41 p.m.

Yeah, I figure I'll be back some day. It's like selling a Miata, you know one of these days you'll get the itch and need another one.

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
3/14/12 8:37 p.m.

A surprising number of people own both a Miata, and either a KLR650, or a DL650 V-Strom. Many do indeed sell and return at a later date.

TucoRamirez
TucoRamirez Reader
3/14/12 11:25 p.m.

Sell it. A friend who has had plenty of bikes including street triple and ktm supermoto likes her fz6 most of all. The white over red f4i is lovely.

rotard
rotard HalfDork
3/14/12 11:28 p.m.

I'll be Blondie. Who wants to be Angel Eyes?

drmike
drmike Reader
3/15/12 8:28 a.m.

As long as I'm not Tuco.

skierd
skierd Dork
3/16/12 8:44 a.m.

Yeah the fz6r is faster... but its not 'more bike'. More motor maybe. But you aren't taking a fz6r places that wrx will go. Hell im halfway to Alaska on mine.

Sell it, its just a klr easy to find and replace. My wr250x will probably be for sale at the end of summer, albeit with a ton of miles.

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 Reader
3/24/12 7:19 a.m.

If you are looking at an FZ6R, also check out the Ninja 650. Personally the fz6r is underwhelming to me...when I look at the swingarm and other pieces it just looks cheap. But then again I don't really like riding NInja 650s either.

Looking into the FZ8, they are an awesome midsize bike! Oh and the wr250x? One of my favorites! Also look into a used drz400sm.

But just to warn you, 99% of the klr's I sold were to people who had one in the past and wanted something different then changed their mind and went back to the klr. KLR and V-stroms have a huge, loyal following.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iHufCCYsfpTnlLuRbB8rKJx4rE0yc0fozymlnOpszmaolznsPCH11OWHDCTqZfYv