1 2
pinchvalve
pinchvalve UltimaDork
9/24/12 1:20 p.m.

The PC800 was high on my list when moving from a CX500 (setup for touring). I found a newer model (they went away and then came back IIRC) with a color-matched GIVI top trunk for $3K. Had the deal on the V-Star not come along, I'd be riding one today.

(not the one I looked at, but I like pics in threads...)

Flight Service
Flight Service SuperDork
9/24/12 1:27 p.m.

In reply to Rusnak_322:

That's what I thought, in my unfortunate experience they never stop falling over there. Keep going till they get to the bars, the dirt, with mud.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 HalfDork
9/24/12 1:55 p.m.

what about this - a little negotiating on your part should have you close to your budget. Plus they look look so sweet.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/mcd/3243481997.html

http://eugene.craigslist.org/mcd/3210551719.html

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/mcy/3286593226.html

Spinout007
Spinout007 Dork
9/24/12 2:05 p.m.
Rusnak_322 wrote:
Flight Service wrote: I caught a 1500 coming off the stand at work one day. Back hurt for 2 weeks, and I was alot stronger then. If you pick up a handle bar in the ground gold wing up since you were 14, (not talking the baby-GL 1000/1100/1200 UJM models, I mean the 1500 (like you suggested he purchase) and 1800 versions) I salute you Mr. HooganSchwartnegerNorris, Sir!!!! I am sorry for ever saying something that you would not agree with, SIR! But since I doubt you are the son of Jor-el and the yellow sun has strange effects on your genetic structure I will bet this was a crash guards up lift on a semi-hard surface. 900~1000lbs is more than un-believable for a 14 year old to manipulate. ...and yes the PC800 looks fat scooter ugly, but they out handle a GL (and for what the GL is they do maneuver well), have better fuel economy no matter which version GL you buy, have a thinner profile which is great for commuting and have a larger single compartment (vs the dressed GLs 3 compartments) which all lead to a great day to day bike.
He didn't dead lift it, just put it back on the wheels http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlFY91626u0

That's it. And while no, I'm not Arnold and have never been. I did a lot of BMX and skateboarding as a kid, strong legs. And I've been taller than my dad since I was 13.5 almost 14. I will say, I've never tried picking up a 1500 but the 1200 wasn't bad at all once I figured it out.

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy HalfDork
9/24/12 8:41 p.m.

'Tis done:

It's a 98 with 47k miles. Last year they were made, and according to Wikipedia the rarest - only ~500 that year! The guy knocked $500 off due to a clutch that slips some in the lower gears. I can replace that myself for a fraction of that. Service records, all fluids changed within the last 5000 miles, Metzler tires... It's even the fastest color.

Without you guys, I never would've known this model existed. Thanks! More pics to follow when it's not dark out (I bought it in daylight, don't worry), but here's a crappy iPhone photo to start. Pinchvalve, that's funny - I'm going to a PC800 from a GL500i, which is effectively a CX500 with touring bags and a Goldwing fairing. Great minds...!

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
9/24/12 9:37 p.m.

Sweet! Mine was a couple years older with the funky front wheel disc covers.

I really liked one mod the previous owner had done - a thick sheepskin cover for the front seat. The factory seat is ok, not awesome, for 500 mile days. I also liked the taller windscreen.

Does your muffler sound chirpy? Most do. There's a simple mod someone did, where you take off the cover, drill a hole through, and fasten a bolt across the muffler to quiet the baffles.

There's a very active Yahoo group for these.

Enjoy the ride!

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy HalfDork
9/24/12 9:39 p.m.

I'll have to look that up. Yes, it does, in fact, sound more like George Jetson's flying car than a proper motorcycle.

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
9/24/12 9:40 p.m.

Heh, I grew accustomed to mine and never did the mod. Got a lot of "hey man, is that electric?" comments. Nope, V-twin, maybe quietest ever made!

Flight Service
Flight Service SuperDork
9/24/12 9:42 p.m.

Happy to have helped man. Enjoy it!!!!

Moparman
Moparman Dork
9/25/12 8:52 a.m.

Why do most new motorcyles look like space ships. Except for cruisers, which look like characatures of Marlon Brando's bike from "The Wild One" (which was a Triumph).

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
9/25/12 10:07 a.m.
Moparman wrote: Why do most new motorcyles look like space ships. Except for cruisers, which look like characatures of Marlon Brando's bike from "The Wild One" (which was a Triumph).

This was the first like that as I understand it. First released in 1989 believe it or not.

Spinout007
Spinout007 Dork
9/25/12 7:14 p.m.

Congrats on the new scoot.

BAMF
BAMF HalfDork
9/25/12 8:50 p.m.

Wow, the PCH looks like it could be a contemporary bike, aside from the rectangular headlight. That should be a dream to ride.

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
10/3/12 7:07 p.m.

How is it?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lDY5nNChjTctyvQpo3qkYo5ZggkDbxwfphrsPe3AaRzlj56wgsqdXqagp7egAENi