1 2
81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
7/28/16 1:20 p.m.

or how I ended up with a motorcycle. This past Sunday (7/24) I traded my 81 Camaro CP roller for a motorcycle. I am now the owner of a 2003 Suzuki GSX750F Katana.

Photo links removed due to photobucket.

Bike is in good condition with 13,500 miles on it. It has a performance muffler, new chain, sprockets, tires and battery. Tail has the mudflap gone with smaller LED turn signals that are quite bright. Front turns are clear.

Looking forward to riding it on weekends and up in the mountains. But first need to register it and get my motorcycle license too (after getting a permit first). Been a while since I had one.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/28/16 2:32 p.m.

And buy gear. Trust me.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
7/28/16 3:04 p.m.

That looks like a lot of bike. Be careful.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
7/28/16 4:18 p.m.

No worries, I will be getting gear before I start riding. Too many inattentive drivers out there.

Dr. Hess, I definitely will be careful, I still have a lot of stuff I want to do in life. That's why I never had one of these when I was younger, I knew I would do something stupid if I did.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
7/28/16 6:06 p.m.

Check advrider.com for gear.

And yes, that is a lot of bike. 750cc sport bike engines rip.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin Dork
7/28/16 6:40 p.m.

I went looking for a fun road rash image to add and completely grossed myself out. Buy lots of good equipment.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
7/29/16 6:19 a.m.
bearmtnmartin wrote: I went looking for a fun road rash image to add and completely grossed myself out. Buy lots of good equipment.

I like this one:

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
7/29/16 8:05 a.m.

Definitely is more powerful than I figured, 93hp. Should be torquey though. She is a tad portly at 516 lbs so be REAL careful with foot placement when stopping. Look for pea gravel and sand because those can ruin your day. Overall, should be a decent starter bike if you respect the throttle.

Want a nice coat? What is your size?

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/suzuki/gsx750f/1998/

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
7/29/16 9:28 a.m.

It does have decent torque, makes it easy to get it going. You can tell the weight is there, steel frame and all.

I will be needing a jacket, probably a 2x, something that is good for hot and cool weather, so something you can open panels for hot weather. Let me know what you have.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
7/29/16 10:07 a.m.

Grow gently in your riding. That bike will go from "wee" to "oh sh**" before you finish taking a breath.

That said, I hear they are a nice bike.

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
7/29/16 10:34 a.m.
81cpcamaro wrote: I will be needing a jacket, probably a 2x, something that is good for hot and cool weather, so something you can open panels for hot weather. Let me know what you have.

2X, mesh with leather elbows, shoulders and back panel. Wind/rain proof liner, full-sleeve quilted liner. Comfortable down to about 45, up to whatever you can handle. $75,shipped, and I'll throw in a couple pairs of gloves - short and gauntlet style, both with armored knuckles.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
7/29/16 11:28 a.m.

Is the a Cortech GX-Air 2? If so, I'd jump on that deal if I were you. I had one, and really regret getting rid of it when I took a break from riding.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
7/29/16 12:24 p.m.
RealMiniParker wrote:
81cpcamaro wrote: I will be needing a jacket, probably a 2x, something that is good for hot and cool weather, so something you can open panels for hot weather. Let me know what you have.
2X, mesh with leather elbows, shoulders and back panel. Wind/rain proof liner, full-sleeve quilted liner. Comfortable down to about 45, up to whatever you can handle. $75,shipped, and I'll throw in a couple pairs of gloves - short and gauntlet style, both with armored knuckles.

That is a nice jacket, price is good too. I'll send a you a message soon.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
7/29/16 1:21 p.m.

My question is GSXF = Bandit with clip ons? Solid bikes the 750 Suzukis.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
7/29/16 1:23 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: And buy gear. Trust me.

But it's a Can a tuna......everyone knows those are exempt from that. Damn squids.

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
7/29/16 1:35 p.m.

In reply to 81cpcamaro:

paulhm68 (at) yahoo

GRM message system doesn't work on me.

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
7/29/16 1:36 p.m.

In reply to eastsidemav:

Not the Air 2, just Air. It's still a great jacket, though.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
7/29/16 1:58 p.m.
clutchsmoke wrote: My question is GSXF = Bandit with clip ons? Solid bikes the 750 Suzukis.

From what I have seen and read, pretty much.

Paul, email sent to you.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
7/29/16 3:06 p.m.
RealMiniParker wrote: In reply to eastsidemav: Not the Air 2, just Air. It's still a great jacket, though.

Looking at the picture again has me wondering if mine was the Air or Air 2, as that sure looks like my old jacket. I agree, though, great jacket.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
8/5/16 9:20 p.m.

I got the jacket yesterday, very nice jacket. Fits me quite well. Thanks, Paul.

I changed spark plugs and the bike runs great. Got all the lights working and replaced the horn that was dead. It's ready now.

Still have to get it registered, bit of a snafu there, more on that later.

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
8/6/16 6:37 a.m.

Glad you like it, Randy.

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 HalfDork
8/6/16 12:48 p.m.

In reply to clutchsmoke:

The GSXF is more like a cheaper, heavier, softer-edged and more versatile GSX-R. The engines share architechture and are both liquid-cooled. These bikes were sold Stateside as Katanas and aimed at the sporty end of sport touring, but many folks like them as all-arounders. The bigger displacement Bandits were aimed at the sporty end of standard and the air/oil-cooled engine can trace lineage back to the venerable GS.

81cpcamaro, nice to find one where the previous owner sunk some $ into wearing parts so you don't have to!

MulletTruck
MulletTruck New Reader
8/7/16 8:38 p.m.

In reply to ae86andkp61:

These are oil cooled,

Bullet proof and easy to maintain. The valves are nut and adjuster. Suzuki says a valve adjustment every 7500 miles but do the first couple then ride it. Check em about every 15,000 miles and you will be fine. Most of the time you can reuse all the gaskets but I would keep a set around just in case one gives you fits.

If you have any questions just ask, I have had a few of this engine group in a couple Bandit1200 and older slabside GSXR Street fighters. My current bike is a Bandit 1200 with 160K miles. I was also a tech at a Suzuki Dealer for years.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
8/7/16 9:32 p.m.

Thanks for the offer, I am sure I will have questions.

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 HalfDork
8/7/16 9:36 p.m.

Ah...thanks for the correction, MulletTruck, interesting to know.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TOMP4LnWSPwdzVGLbbvSAcLKvsx7W7E5QqSmbSBZV7yabZnnsYf9NXNJ5vlwR30n