Stephan
Stephan
11/1/16 2:20 a.m.

I am a South African citizen where parts are scarce and expensive. I have a 91 VW T3 Double cab LDV with no motor or gearbox. Would like it to be a daily driver and have power as I tow a boat. Want to fit a Th425 front wheel drive Cadillac box mated to a Lexus V8. Do not know how to get the gearbox to turn in the right direction if installed in the back. Also have no idea where to purchase such a box as there are none in SA? Any advice would be greatly appreciated Regards, Stephan

petegossett
petegossett UltimaDork
11/1/16 8:15 p.m.

Hi Stephan!

If I understand, you want to use the Caddy transaxle to keep the engine in a north-south(front-to-rear) orientation. Correct? Just guessing I expect shipping for the transaxle will be very expensive.

Have you considered using something more common in SA, or possibly a normal FWD transaxle?

Stephan
Stephan New Reader
11/4/16 12:22 a.m.

Hi Pete,thanks for the response. yes configuration must be N/S with motor rear mounted. Have looked at various local options but most would have to be mid-mounted which would take up storage space. What mods are required for Caddy box to turn in the opposite way and what does a Caddy box cost. Have considered VW box but they have become very expensive and scarce, also thought about Subaru but dont think it has enough power for towing,so yes I am up for suggestions.

petegossett
petegossett UltimaDork
11/5/16 6:26 p.m.

In reply to Stephan:

If you need a rear-engine automatic transaxle, the only solution I can think of is a Chevy Corvair. I know people do V8 swaps in Corvairs, so I think it could work for you.

petegossett
petegossett UltimaDork
11/5/16 6:32 p.m.

Also, you can get more details about the Corvair trans by asking in this thread.

Enyar
Enyar Dork
11/5/16 6:54 p.m.

What size boat?

Stephan
Stephan New Reader
11/7/16 2:06 a.m.

Boat is Kona 18' 200hp Mariner, trailer - double axle. Will check Covair option. Is there no ways to convert the Caddy box?

petegossett
petegossett UltimaDork
11/7/16 6:30 p.m.

In reply to Stephan:

I do not have any personal experience with the FWD Caddy box, but it's been stated that mechanically it's a Chevy Turbo 350 trans with a differential built into the case. You wouldn't be able to spin the trans backwards(that I know of) so the question is whether the ring & pinion could be flipped like a VW. My gut feeling is I doubt it, but I don't have enough knowledge to give you a confident answer.

Post your question on the main Grassroots Motorsports forum and you'll get more answers. Not as many people post here.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GDc0bmUlTdo4mUbq1YLa6XBWcOhOWgehyAg1VxHgyPYGxZM8QGvABS4o6T6xIDsT