elramaed
elramaed New Reader
1/21/19 1:27 p.m.

My 92 Miata needs a clutch.  I’ve done lots of clutch work but not on the Miata. Local foreign car mechanic scared me when he offered to do it for $1500.   I don’t think I have “stupid” on my forehead but is there something I don’t know that makes this harder than the average job?  Thanks in advance for the advice

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/21/19 1:46 p.m.

It's pretty much a standard longitudinal engine install with a transmission you can bench press. Not hard.

elramaed
elramaed New Reader
2/3/19 7:35 p.m.

Thanks for the reply.  Looks like a straight forward job. Just thought I would ask before I tear into it

PMRacing
PMRacing SuperDork
2/3/19 8:00 p.m.

One tip I have is use a rarchet strap to hold the engine back against the firewall when installing the transmission. The engine wants to tip forward when the trans is removed  It helps a lot when lining it up on reinstallation.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
2/3/19 9:05 p.m.
PMRacing said:

One tip I have is use a rarchet strap to hold the engine back against the firewall when installing the transmission. The engine wants to tip forward when the trans is removed  It helps a lot when lining it up on reinstallation.

I stick a socket between the rack and the oil pan. 

elramaed
elramaed New Reader
3/26/19 12:27 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Appreciate the tips.  Now that spring is here I’ll have to get motivated to do it.  Garage is not heated for winter work

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YCWlrb73Gh6mspeRUgdhFEAPTJG6nIGzbFVIMyKqltTQ82Agj7p91seGDreXVBoC