84FSP
84FSP Dork
3/29/17 9:10 p.m.

So kicking around some mild steel headers and was considering ceramic header paint. It looks like Eastwood among others sells it pretty reasonably. Any input on the diy ceramic paint?

D2W
D2W Reader
4/4/17 12:38 p.m.

I tried some a few years ago. It looked great when applied. I wasn't able to bake it correctly. Wife wasn't to keen on me putting them in her oven. So I made a heat box but couldn't get it to the 400 deg. or so they recommended. It did okay but came off at the first bend of the header where it gets the hottest. If you can bake it on I think it would probably be okay.

Harvey
Harvey Dork
4/7/17 4:55 p.m.

I had a pro guy do a ceramic paint job on my turbo manifold and it turned out really nice for around $100 or so. Was very durable as I must have banged on it half a dozen times trying to install the thing. I've heard mixed things about the diy stuff. It most certainly is just for looks and perhaps some rust prevention, but yeah I think the baking of the coating is the key part that keeps it from going bad, though I've heard of crazy people doing the "on the car" bake where they put it on and run the car.

MugenReplica
MugenReplica New Reader
6/20/17 2:58 p.m.

I had Swaintech "White Lightning" coating on a SSR hand-built mild steel header for a K-series Honda. Lasted 10 years (through multiple winters), no rust or problems with rust and still going strong with the new owner last I knew.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UzYOUutVUgfV8lft7MNeUS5wzHpl56ThJtGjbmSTLtxegNIIErhKWkF1SUyslJbW