thedoc
thedoc Reader
7/24/20 8:03 p.m.

I did a brake blush and was not happy with the color of my "new" fluid in the reservoir. I had emptied it the best I could with a turkey baster.  On my second round I tried to find a tube that would extend the turkey baster. I happened upon an atomizer (or  nozzle) that came with an empty spray bottle.  Eureka!  I pushed the tube down into the reservoir, put the nozzle end into an empty gallon jug.  Pumped till my hand was tired and drained as far as was safe.

Never again will I use the turkey baster!  The new Hayes method of brake fluid changes.  Second round, pristine fluid, just like the chemist intended.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UberDork
7/24/20 8:28 p.m.

I use a catheter tip 60 cc syringe with some fuel hose. 

I think your idea would work better.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
7/24/20 8:28 p.m.

I have a mighty vac...  Pretty cheap at harbor freight.

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
7/24/20 8:38 p.m.

I use this:

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/24/20 9:00 p.m.

Pumps are for the unwashed masses. Pro tip:

• Get some clear vinyl tubing from hardware store
  • Get a drill bit just a RCH smaller than  tubing OD
  • Get your favorite soda in a plastic bottle
  • remove cap and drill hole in cap using drill above
  • drink soda
  • replace lid on bottle
  • insert one end of tubing through hole in cap
  • Place other end of tubing in MC reservoir
  • place bottle somewhere lower than bottom of MC 
  • squeeze bottle(air from bottle goes up tubing and bubbles out in reservoir)
  • release grip on bottle and it sucks the fluid out of the reservoir, no fuss no muss.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
7/24/20 9:30 p.m.

Been using plastic veterinarian syringes from the farm store for probably 20 years now. 3cc to 60 cc, and cheap too.

Evacuate master cylinder. 

Filling empty carb bowls through the vents. Thinking of you Holley berkeleying carburetor.

Accurately measuring paint, hardener and reducer for air brush touch up. Lot less waste than measuring cups. 

Shooting grease, oil and RTV in hard to reach places, with or without the needle.

Removing oil from over filled crankcase, w/ the extension of vacuum hose. 

Accurately measuring the pump shot on ACVW Pict-berkeley carbs. 

Have a Mighty-Vac also which definitely has it's place but w/ more clean up required but syringes are cheap, easy and throw away at the end of the job.

Keepin' a bunch on the shelf. 

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
7/24/20 9:42 p.m.

I use these a lot and I'm down to the last couple from probably a dozen 35 years ago. They came from Japan. I'd like to buy new ones but can't find them anywhere. They originally came with wickless kerosene heaters and hold up to all kinds of automotive chemicals. great for filling carbs through the vent tube, cleaning paint guns with lacquer thinner, master cylinder brake fluid, etc. etc. Anyone know where I can purchase them?

[URL=https://app.photobucket.com/u/NOTATA/p/ad0bcb95-f4ed-48e8-81c5-dec5398f1886][/URL]

Woody
Woody MegaDork
7/25/20 7:39 a.m.

Go Medical Grade, or go home!!

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
10/20/20 9:46 p.m.
fasted58 said:

Filling empty carb bowls through the vents. Thinking of you Holley berkeleying carburetor.

I have a nice way of dealing with Holleys.  Take a normal quart sized oil bottle and cut most of one side panel off.  Leave a bit of excess toward the pouring end.  Replace the cap with the nozzle from a gear oil bottle.

When you have to change jets or mess with the power valve or play with idle feed restrictor orifices or whatever, instead of pulling the bowls off on the car, just yank the whole carb.  Invert it over the container you have made to drain it, pump the accelerator pumps to empty those too.  Now sit the carb on the carb stand you made out of a piece of plywood and four long 1/4 bolts and a handful of nuts, and do your thing.  When you are done, put it back on the car and refill with the spout.

Did Holleys this way for years, never had to fuss over fuel stains on the intake manifold.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2lXUI0VphmSAeM8gbXSeIvYsLChDgvLZIAyHcgtNR6U2Z2DHuiqA6ddbtlcpIy88