BEATO
BEATO New Reader
4/24/17 11:16 a.m.

Hi there. I just bought a Wavetrac LSD and wanted to install in my BMW E46.

Can a shady tree mechanic like myself install it or professional build required?

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
4/24/17 11:26 a.m.
Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
4/24/17 11:48 a.m.

I installed lsd once in college before watching the smurfs. Would NOT recommend. Especially if you plan to have kids later that like 80s cartoons.

In a more on topic approach, its definitely not simple. Do a bunch of research. Im pretty sure that pinion depth, backlash, gear mesh pattern, and some bearing clearances will all have to be redone. At least with a locker in a mopar 8.75 it all does. I cant imagine other rears will be any different.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
4/24/17 11:59 a.m.

If you're comfortable with setting up the gear contact pattern I don't see why you couldn't. It doesn't take any really specialized tools to overhaul a diff.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
4/24/17 12:03 p.m.

I started to watch a 20min video install of a LSD into the Fiesta but stopped at the 45-second mark when I realized it was above my skill set.

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
4/24/17 12:34 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve:

Installing a diff into a RWD IRS pumpkin like those used in the BMW E46 is considerably different than putting one in the transaxle of a FWD passenger car like your FiST.

One requires dropping the diff housing out and working on just the differential.

The other requires pulling he transaxle out and apart and is much more involved.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Qs9IWXtTeDn63djfjLMFsaATQIprr75vK3Alz2DhLcZ5bM40k3cwdZXLdW09YZdZ