Jere
Jere Dork
5/13/18 2:32 p.m.

I am pretty sure I saw the title of a what might of been a how to a while back but can't find it at the moment. (Maybe it had something to do with a clothes iron?)

I used the pos hft tire balancer and guess what... I've got at least one lumpy tire now after ~5000 miles. So that hft thing is going to the scap pile and in the mean time I am looking for suggestions.

I am thinking about hitting the tire/tires with the angle grinder while spinning the wheels/tires on the back of the car  on jack stands(fwd Prius). I am expecting a mess and a lot of smoke.

Other ideas?

Cadman5
Cadman5 New Reader
5/13/18 2:44 p.m.

Yes,please, suggestions? I am also looking to shave tires, but for racing. Our track requires DOT 400 or higher treadwear, and under $65. I know tire rack shaves, but that won't work here. 

boxedfox
boxedfox New Reader
5/13/18 9:00 p.m.

How are your welding skills? Something like this might be your best bet if you plan to shave a lot of tyres:

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
5/13/18 9:42 p.m.

Jere
Jere Dork
5/14/18 8:06 a.m.

In reply to boxedfox :

Awesome link thanks! (going to have think about making rotating chassis table like that!) The part about weighing the rubber is a good ideal and something I wouldn't have thought of 

I can weld and have a variable speed motor like that too... But it spins a homemade belt sander. Maybe I can just set the toe angle of the belt sander right and spin the rear wheel while removing rubber hmm

Jere
Jere Dork
5/14/18 8:07 a.m.

In reply to SkinnyG :

I did say its Prius here so that one won't work in my case at least wink

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin SuperDork
7/2/18 11:16 a.m.

I have taken my tires to the local bandag truck tire recapper a couple times. For a case of beer they put them on their grinding machine and took them down to a few thousand of tread left. It took about 2 minutes a tire. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
7/2/18 12:11 p.m.

Would think you could make an abrasive surface (something like a heavy duty cheese grater) to do a quick burnout on...

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
7/2/18 3:29 p.m.
Jere said:

I am pretty sure I saw the title of a what might of been a how to a while back but can't find it at the moment. (Maybe it had something to do with a clothes iron?)

I used the pos hft tire balancer and guess what... I've got at least one lumpy tire now after ~5000 miles. So that hft thing is going to the scap pile and in the mean time I am looking for suggestions.

I am thinking about hitting the tire/tires with the angle grinder while spinning the wheels/tires on the back of the car  on jack stands(fwd Prius). I am expecting a mess and a lot of smoke.

Other ideas?

Are you sure you didn't rotate the tire on the rim after balancing or loose weights? I've had front tires rotate from heavy braking on track and rears rotate on sticky drag strip launches. 

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
7/2/18 6:29 p.m.

I've got a OLD Van Norman 303 truck brake drum lathe with grinder it shaves tires well.  I'd give it to anyone who would be willing to take it and not scrap it.

303 pict

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/2/18 6:55 p.m.
NOT A TA said:
Jere said:

Other ideas?

Are you sure you didn't rotate the tire on the rim after balancing or loose weights? I've had front tires rotate from heavy braking on track and rears rotate on sticky drag strip launches. 

My thoughts as well - a tire balancer won't cause flat spots.

Klopjosh
Klopjosh
3/27/23 11:44 p.m.

In reply to 44Dwarf :

Probably way wayyyy too late to save it but... If you still have that brake lathe....Id absolutely take you up on the offer lol.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RXRTgcK86tLO0bENyTKvCvFkYJTHszXG2uJMTcNFQkPIJFEYf5FtFjnDIgvz0XDZ