Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
12/2/18 2:21 p.m.

Saw a YouTube video about this and thought I would give it a try. Worked decently well on my project so I thought I'd share it here.

You'll need some oderless mineral spirits, a tube of clear 100% silicone, something to mix it in, a brush and something to waterproof. 

I have a pair of bib overalls that I use at work in the winter time. I'm always getting sprayed and dripped on with water and that's no fun when it's cold. I originally did them a couple weeks ago and they've performed well. I ripped them this week so brought them home to repair and I decided to put another coat to the front. 

Basically you just mix the silicone and mineral spirits together. Mix it well, for a good five minutes or so. You don't want any thick clumps in it. First I mixed it really thin. Probably one part silicone to twenty parts mineral spirits. That would probably work well on a thinner, lighter weight material. However I felt it was too thin. I thickened it to probably a 2:1 ratio. That seemed to be much more appropriate for my needs. It was roughly the consistency of warmed maple syrup. 

I really feel a brush is the best way to apply it. It allows an even coating along with the ability to work it each direction into the weave if the fabric. 

I pay particular attention to the seams first then work in from there. It's really pretty easy. The first application took quite a bit of the mixture as the cloth soaked it up. It took much less this time. 

It's probably best to do this outside due to the odors. Hang it up to dry and when it's dry to the touch and doesn't smell anymore it's good to go. 

It did slightly darken the cloth but it didn't really change the feel. It is slightly heavier though. 

Here is a close before shot of where I had previously applied it.

Verses an area inside that wasn't coated.

The process of applying it.

And hung out to cure.

I'm also hoping that the coating will add some reinforcement to the threads as well. I use my legs to help move heavier pieces at work and it's not uncommon to wear a hole through regular blue jeans in a week or two. 

I plan on doing the cloth saddle bags that I'm using as bicycle panniers just haven't got around to it yet. 

Hope that helps someone.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jc2flIdHH3murpTm6W2A2fsFkkgqY506qfILxbZsOunKkXvtNMWRe32LdrIDMA2c