thashane
thashane New Reader
5/1/21 9:39 p.m.

My trailer didn't come with the controller/remote for the winch. Replacement options were around $70 for 6' and $40 for extensions. Looking inside where the winch controller receptacle is 3 male prongs. So this should work for any "3 wire" winch. 

I used a 14ga, 50' extension cord, my trailer is 20' long, so this is more than enough. The wiring is basically 1 hot, then a wire for forward and another reverse. I used a momentary 3-way switch, a "grip", and some flat bar aluminum scrap. 

Other winch tips:

You can easily wire in a "wireless remote" at the same time. These can be found on Amazon for under $20.

Solenoids sticking? Stop beating them, scrap em' and go solid state. "500a winch solenoid relay contactor" can be found for under $40.

thashane
thashane New Reader
5/1/21 9:44 p.m.
  • In reply to thashane : Solid state contactor photo, since I'm on mobile and can't figure out how to upload two photos in one post. The wireless controller is also in the photo lower right of the contactor. I also mounted the contactor to some class 8 truck mud flap, as a backing.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3AoHJvnbO3m680EV3ssOXKrxKKc7uhSBV2HcsJRImK5VcjrhBEgJTJpSpL8x81Wo