boxedfox
boxedfox Reader
9/1/18 11:12 p.m.

I'm sure all of you have run into this at some point. You go out to the track, you follow a few cars a little too closely, and your car comes back with these tarry black marks that won't come out. It's bad enough on paint but it's the worst when it gets on your wheels. Wheel cleaning sprays, power washers, and the scrubbing brush don't seem to do anything.

Well it turns out that there is a quick and easy way to get tire rubber off your car. Cue the 48 pack of Melamine sponges that I bought to clean the downstairs bathroom:

This is one of the off-brand Magic Erasers that they sell in bulk. Unlike the current generation of Magic Eraser, these have no detergent and no bleach in them, which makes them perfect for stuff like this.

All I did was wet the sponge and started lightly scrubbing the marks. It took about 30 seconds to get rid of these two streaks:

Before:

During:

After:

I also did that little spot on the left too. It took 14 strokes to get this little blob of rubber out of the wheel.

Before:

After:

These rubber spots that have been on these wheels for years. A close up hit with a power washer and a wide variety of wheel cleaners did absolutely nothing to get them off. It took me until tonight to realize that a 20 cent piece of cleaning foam was all I needed to get all that crap off. Makes me happy and mad at the same time.

~R

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
9/2/18 7:48 a.m.

Great tip.

200mph
200mph New Reader
10/14/18 12:08 p.m.

Great budget solution.

A little Goof-Off and a rag works pretty well, and Mother's makes a specific tire smudge remover that works great.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Reader
10/14/18 3:04 p.m.

Great idea ...... thanks

ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual)
ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual) Reader
10/14/18 5:00 p.m.

WD40 is magic on tire marks, and won’t (well, shouldn’t) hurt paint or wheel surface. 

amerson
amerson New Reader
10/15/18 3:08 a.m.

Nice tip! I will definitely try it since my two wheels have some rubber marks.

_
_ Reader
10/30/18 2:07 p.m.

You can also pre-coat your wheels in deep WD-40. This will help tire marks to not develop on the wheels in the first place. Just don’t get it on the tire

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
h8SSux8rTUla4KmBe2brjjkAUuiDBwnuwfNi4dGn3V2LiFsFlru6jLuAwTBhWZKz