rustyvw
rustyvw Dork
3/25/18 8:32 p.m.

Now that the weather is warming up, I'm trying to get the beetle on the road.  The fuse block is corroded, and I don't want to spend all my time wiggling the fuses.  I could buy a new fuse block, but I figure this one just needs a good cleaning.  What suggestions do you guys have for a good contact cleaner?  

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
3/25/18 8:40 p.m.

Rubber eraser for light corrosion

2-3000 grit sandpaper for heavier corrosion followed by a polishing wheel in a Dremel.

Finish with a fine layer of electrical contact grease or Vaseline to keep the corrosion at bay.

Don’t forget the grounds and other connections elsewhere in the car, including bulbs and their sockets.

glenzo654
glenzo654 New Reader
3/30/18 8:28 p.m.

if your removing the block from the car ground walnut shells in the blast cabinet work great

they also work great on any  plated parts that got painted by mistake under the hood

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
3/30/18 9:34 p.m.

Battery terminal cleaner (the type in a spray can) and a toothbrush (preferably not the one you use) does a good job of cleaning and neutralizing corrosion/electrolysis.

mikedd969
mikedd969 New Reader
9/8/18 10:01 p.m.

If the corrosion is heavy, there is no getting around a good mechanical cleaning, emery cloth, small soft-wire brush, eraser, all work well.  Once that is done, this stuff is awesome.  I've been using it forever....  DeoxIT, Spray Contact Cleaner  Amazing stuff.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dzf0PWRxJCVDHkWd72wr6cYv1oc8BLrwAuHGGCbH5qdtWfg4lv8shdnW5L0uR0VC