irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
6/6/18 4:41 p.m.

I know I'm far from the first to do this and it's no rocket science, but figured I might as well post it here for anyone interested. So recently my 924S has been getting a mild "clunk" from the rear on upshifts to 2nd (and the occasional gear grind). I didn't feel like a transmission issue, and the CV axles are in good shape, bolted in tight, etc. Figured it must be the mounts. Note that on the 924S and early 944s, there are mounts on each side of the transmission, which makes it really easy to remove them as opposed to the later cars with the center-mounted bushings and require the subframe to be pulled.

Anyhow, this is a street driver, so after a bit of looking at what others had done I decided to go with 60A rather than the 80A that some people do. The goal here wasn't to get ultimate response, but to just improve the stock bushings (worn or otherwise) and get rid of the clunking.

Like many others, I got the stuff through McMaster for about 30 bucks.

After consulting with a visiting neighbor....

.....I pulled the old, nasty greasy/oily ones. Cleaned them up good and then scuffed up the rubber parts. They didn't seem all that worn or damaged at all, actually, I could make them deflect a bit by hand but I've seen many far worse bushings this style, 

Then masked off with some tape and cardboard and mixed the stuff, filled it up and let it dry.....

Voila..

After a couple days I took it for a drive a little while ago and wow...significant improvement. Clunk gone, shifts in all gears are much more positive (note I already have all the linkage stuff from Only944.com), and no grinding gears on speed-upshifts or downshifts. Zero additional NVH that I could feel/hear.

All in all, a highly-recommended and easy upgrade for way less than the cost of a new OEM (or aftermarket) bushing. I assume it would have similar results in other cars with these open-center bushings,....

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
6/6/18 6:17 p.m.

I've done this with the same stuff on a number of cars and the results have been excellent.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5Jgog3wd6qsGzK3umTyRMSK3iGWU1NCqPl6LxiFACn4QTxigVprYy9p597fmqU0z