AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Dork
4/2/18 1:54 p.m.

If you do any crimp connections, you need a ratcheting crimper. 

This is the one I got. $25 on Amazon, was $22 when I got it, looks like it fluctuates so put a price tracker on it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0069TRKJ0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Haven't started doing actual projects with it yet, but I did a couple test crimps on scrap wire and I am extremely happy with the quality of the crimp. (See example below.)

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/2/18 1:56 p.m.

Amen to that.

Also, get one with interchangeable jaws if you can. Then you can do ECU terminals, insulated barrels, non-insulated barrels, etc.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Dork
4/2/18 2:04 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Amen to that.

Also, get one with interchangeable jaws if you can. Then you can do ECU terminals, insulated barrels, non-insulated barrels, etc.

I actually have you to thank for getting one of these! I was reading an older crimp vs solder thread from a while back, (can't find it now) and you highly recommended getting a ratcheting crimper. I'm getting ready to redo all the wiring on the SpitBird so I'm going to need good connections. 

This one does have interchangeable jaws, but only came with this set. I'll probably the full set at some point, but for $25 this gets me in the door cheap with what I need to do now. 

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler UberDork
4/2/18 2:16 p.m.

Just picked up one of those myself.  I used it Saturday to hardwire the radar detector in the SHO.  It makes a really nice crimp, but it can be a bit of a PITA if you are working in a tight spot since you have to squeeze that thing pretty hard.

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
4/2/18 2:27 p.m.
The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
4/2/18 3:11 p.m.

Ratcheting crimpers and an auto wire stripper (eg: Klein Katapult) will change how you think about wiring. I'm never going back.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Dork
4/2/18 3:12 p.m.

In reply to Stefan :

That does look like more functionality for the same price......

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler UberDork
4/2/18 3:37 p.m.
The0retical said:

Ratcheting crimpers and an auto wire stripper (eg: Klein Katapult) will change how you think about wiring. I'm never going back.

Oh, hell yes.  Best $25 I ever spent was on a Katapult.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Dork
4/2/18 5:13 p.m.
Tom_Spangler said:
The0retical said:

Oh, hell yes.  Best $25 I ever spent was on a Katapult.

Hahaha, yes. You might notice my MAC automatic wire strippers behind the crimpers in the picture in my first post. Expensive, but I love them!

dherr
dherr Reader
4/3/18 7:39 a.m.

Just ordered the kit above from Amazon, nice tip. I have to splice in the headlight and taillight harness from the Spitfire into my now simplified Miata harness as well as will likely be shortening the Miata harness where necessary, so this will come in handy for all the crimp connections.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
4/3/18 10:01 a.m.

Great recommebdation, since normal crimpers are about as effective as biting them with your teeth.  Off to Amazon! 

RevRico
RevRico UltraDork
4/3/18 10:07 a.m.

Do they do DuPont pins too?

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Dork
4/3/18 10:23 a.m.
RevRico said:

Do they do DuPont pins too?

Possibly.... If you get one with the correct jaws. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/3/18 10:35 a.m.

Definitely, if you get the right jaws. Mine will do them.

frenchyd
frenchyd Dork
4/3/18 10:38 a.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 :

Mine is 48 years old and still works wonderfully. 

Greg Smith
Greg Smith HalfDork
4/5/18 7:48 p.m.

I may regret this, but got the ratcheting crimper in stock at Horrible Freight today. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
4/5/18 7:59 p.m.

I had my last ratcheting crimper fail, causing the crimps to come apart under vibration.  

Always do a tug test.  Always. 

ShinnyGroove
ShinnyGroove New Reader
5/21/18 8:03 p.m.

I have the same crimper as the OP.  It’s awesome.

As for wire strippers, I’m afraid to look at the fancy ones mentioned above.  I’ve had the same set of strippers since junior year EE lab, over 20 years ago.  It never occurred to me that there might be something better.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LeChQye5eOMcVqKJB6Q7iHmXvcbj4lU1fEvAN3SUFOxxum2I2u7rTkWLAqCnNj1V