Wxdude10 - Mike
Wxdude10 - Mike Reader
3/8/18 11:04 p.m.

In my best Sophia from Golden Girls:

Picture it.  My back yard, 10:30 pm, after the latest snowmageddon.  My power has been out since 12:30 am. I have about 1 hour sleep in the last 22 hours. Trees have taken down power lines on my street and 95% of the town is out.  I was lucky enough to get a new generator first thing this morning to get my sump pumps going again.  But I have to do an oil change after the first 5-10 hours of use. I'm tired, uncaffeinated, and totally done.  What do I do?

Well, when picking up the generator, the associate handed me something to buy.  I don't know it yet, but I have just gotten something so simple, but life changing.  What was this miracle of modern life?

Hopkins Oil Change System

Its a vacuum pump to draw oil out of small engine and into a container. How can this be so life changing?

Like I said.  Its 10:30. I shuffle out to the garage with my worklight.  Grab the oil and the Hopkins. No tools.  By 10:45, I have everything ready to go.  By 10:55, the oil is changed, I have cleaned up, and restarted the generator after topping off the gas for the night.  I have never had such an easy oil change.  No mess.  Done fast, and I am back to bed.

I know this sounds like a canoe, but it's not.  I just wanted to share how a little plastic jug with a vacuum pump and hose made a not fun chore after a really bad day into something so easy that I am looking forward to changing the oil on my snowblower/lawn mower/tractor.  

jfryjfry
jfryjfry HalfDork
3/16/18 12:09 p.m.

My only issue with this style is getting all of the oil out.  Maybe suck as much as I can and then pop the drain for the last little bit....

that being said, this is perfect timing - I just filled my vette with about 10-12 quarts of Mobil1 about 50 miles ago and have to pull the motor (which means removing the oil tank lines which means a lot of expensive slippery stuff comes out. 

I also need to change the oil in the minivan and the Prius so I am going to suck the oil out of the vette using this doodad and put it into the other vehicles!

thanks for the heads up!

Our Preferred Partners
6o1MYHLD0xUSjzYu5GrrWyPV6AzNFB2XaT5OtTvJb37Y1364oyVmJK83HQdcopvm