Will
Will UltraDork
3/24/18 9:53 p.m.

I have cats, so I end up with a ton  of kitty litter jugs. I try to think of other ways to use them instead of just throwing them away.

Even if you don't have a cat, you should have some kitty litter in the garage for cleaning up oil spills, etc. Don't buy the stuff in bags--get the stuff in jugs, like this:

The jugs are great as temporary/disposable fluid containers. Forget to dispose of your old oil after the last change and need the drain pan for the next change? Pour the old stuff in an empty jug. Need to drain your coolant and don't want to pour it in a pan you've used for oil? Drain it into the jug. The jugs are clear(ish), so it's easier to see what's in there, and when they're close to full. The lids screw on securely and they're easy to transport, even in small trunks, so it's easy to dispose of them and the fluids when you're done.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
3/24/18 9:58 p.m.

Agreed, they’re super heavy duty duty too.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
3/24/18 10:01 p.m.

If you have lots of cats, the kitty litter buckets are great for storing small car parts. Watertight, sturdy and stackable.

twentyover
twentyover Dork
3/27/18 11:42 a.m.

Ever try using one for a cat-sket?

I have no idea why I just typed that

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
3/27/18 11:57 a.m.

I end up buying plastic Jerry can style gasoline containers from big box stores like Wal-Mart for waste oil.  Good lid that stays on, easy to keep vertical when driving waste oil to be recycled, and they can hold a few changes at a time.  Agreed on keeping kitty litter around for soaking up spills.  Seems to be a lot more economical than actual floor dry and about as absorbent.  

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
3/27/18 12:14 p.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo :

I use those buckets for everything. I even had some filled with water for Irma. 

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
3/27/18 12:24 p.m.

AVOID the lightweight litter!  It is just horrible stuff, doesn't work, makes a mess, crapping on the floor would be preferable.  

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
3/27/18 2:43 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Me too, I put everything in that E36 M3! Emergency water, check, car parts, check, spare tractor stuff, check. Everything but the cats.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc Reader
3/29/18 7:06 a.m.
twentyover said:

Ever try using one for a cat-sket?

I have no idea why I just typed that

Yeah, me neither!wink

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
3/29/18 7:35 a.m.

at my grandparents place (where I would work on my car in college) they were on a well and had a bleach injection system. I would use the bleach jugs for oil.

What I discovered is that, over time, the oil breaks down the plastic. This creates a huge mess.  

Not sure what plastics work and dont with oil, but be careful.

Unless you are sure, I wouldnt advise using for anything but immediate term. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
3/29/18 8:47 a.m.
EastCoastMojo said:

If you have lots of cats, the kitty litter buckets are great for storing small car parts. Watertight, sturdy and stackable.

LOL. I first read this as that they are good for storing small cat parts....you know, if you have lots of cats, and maybe want to reduce their numbers a bit. I thought ECM had gone dark and creepy for a second.

I use a kittly litter bucket as a dog poop container. I collect the yard deposits and put them in the bucket. The lid seals pretty good. Then empty the whole mess out on trash night.

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
3/30/18 7:44 a.m.

I have at least 3 of these downstairs at the moment, and go through a new one every other week or so.  I keep saving them for "just in case".  (You should have seen when ex-SWMBO lived here, and between us we had 5 cats.)

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
3/30/18 8:37 a.m.

They also make a decent car wash bucket.

And, I'm pretty much dark and creepy all the time. laugh

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rVcaEJzLKb6jOxFnAQmyQYn7O4BR5bfIsMnz6qLzOSnThV6J7aBWIcS5ukv0ggWw