Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku PowerDork
7/20/15 10:31 p.m.

Head over to the racing supply house, cleverly disquised as your local Lowes/Depot, and get the following:

1-1/4" pool and spa hose (150 degrees rated) The ribs help with mounting and its smoother inside than vacuum cleaner hose.

2 eletrical boxes with flanges and open back

2 box covers with 1 1/2" holes

2 plant stakes

some pop rivits and whatever black paint you have laying about.

Secure the box covers to the front of the box and paint inside

Remove airdam from the car and clamp box in place. The airdam will likely be curved from years of wind and curbs, so you have to force it flat. Rivit boxes in place.

Using the box as a guide cut the hole in the dam, then mount back on the car.

Pull off the rotors and remove the splash sheild. I had to leave some of mine in place as it further sheilds the grease seal. Cut back what you can.

Now lets bend up some brackets for the hoses. Use a socket that just slips inside the hose to wrap the wire around. leave some off each end for mounting.

Once you've got the hose end in the mount, use the sheild bolts to secure it. Don't overbend and break (or weaken) the wire. Test fit the rotor and check your clearence. i have tried to aim for inside the hat near the caliper. The air should get to both.

Route the hose back to the box. I found this size will snap in fairly securely dispite how it looks. Check your routing with the wheel turned full lock each way.

While a 3" system is certianly better, this fits in tighter places without cutting up inner fenders and so on. Used this same idea on my C4 Vette and it solved my braking issues. I have a track day with the Firebird soon, we'll see how it goes!

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
7/20/15 10:46 p.m.

Nice!

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltimaDork
7/20/15 11:38 p.m.

This should really be in tech tips, or perhaps an entire "car stuff from the hardware store" thread be made.

Fitzauto
Fitzauto Reader
7/21/15 12:07 a.m.

I really like this idea. May have to try this out.

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Editorial Assistant
7/21/15 9:28 a.m.

Moving this to the Tech Tips forum. Carry on.

gohero
gohero New Reader
7/22/15 9:27 p.m.

Can you post some pics of the front bumper? In my idea the lesser the bend of the hose the better.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku PowerDork
8/2/15 4:52 p.m.

Just did a track day and they must be working, car didn't have any brake issues.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/2/15 6:41 p.m.

I've made brake duct inlets out of gallon antifreeze jugs. They have a nice shape to guide the air into the hose.

I will be interested to hear how the 150F hose stands up.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Reader
8/6/15 3:14 a.m.

WooOoOOOoow that's fancy...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
8/7/15 5:29 p.m.

The hoses shouldn't get much hotter than ambient since they don't touch the backing plates. Clever! Earned a place in the newsletter

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
5/23/19 1:58 p.m.

Update: I'm looking to do this mod to my car soon, and I've found a good alternative hose that's available in bigger sizes than pool hose, HDPE corrugated drainage hose:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/ADS-3-in-x-50-ft-Corrugated-Solid-Pipe/50148228

Also available with handy matching fittings and caps!

Should be good up to at least 140F, not sure it'll be as durable as the pool hose though. Guess I'll find out!

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
5/23/19 2:10 p.m.

Another idea- most disc brakes have a backing plate that uses a small scoop to snatch air and channel it into the inside of the rotor.  Plumbing hose and stuff to bring air to it can be tricky, but a simple solution is just to make that scoop larger.  F1 cars do this:

Image result for F1 brake ducts

Granted, on fendered cars there won't be as much air moving across the backside of the wheel, but there will be some, and enbiggening the duct to the backing plate will snatch more of it.  We did this on our LeMons car and it worked at least as well as the previous setup (similar to the OP, with hose and whatnot) and was much simpler to implement and less damage-prone.  

tomtomgt356
tomtomgt356 Reader
5/28/19 8:08 a.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

Thank you for a new word! I am now going to try to incorporate "enbiggening" into a conversation at work!

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
5/28/19 9:06 a.m.

Speaking of scoops like Volvoclearinghouse mentioned, the control arm mounted scoops from a 911 GT3 are like $20 for the pair and work great.

Image result for cayman GT3 brake ducts

I did some unscientific testing by blowing compressed air at them, and it goes right into the center of the rotor.  

Some clever work with an Olfa knife and some zip ties should make them fit a lot more than just P-Cars.  I know the FRS/BRZ/86 guys have been using them.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KPJRM4BSPYYz3nbojGmX4iMPNvO9LGo9yeHcW9ZwSgkhQs7OqhNReMvjKkLXyxGy