Rocambolesque
Rocambolesque New Reader
8/12/19 8:12 p.m.

I'm doing a Megasquirt conversion on a car that was originally equipped with CIS and I am at the point of connecting the fuel lines. The fuel rail I have puts both feed and return ports at the back of the engine, near the firewall on the driver's side. The car's hardlines end at the bottom of the driver's side shock tower. To connect both fuel line ports to their respective hardline, I'd need about 2' of rubber hose for each line. To add to this, both hardlines are 5/16 and the return port on the rail is 1/4. I will need some sort of reducer.

I went to a local parts store to purchase hose and clamps the other day. The guy there warned me that the rubber lines should not exceed 1'. He was talking about that like it's some FMVSS standard or something. I looked it up quickly and did not find anything. Maybe it is true, maybe not. My thinking is that if the hose is rated for 225 psi, then it should hold 225 psi no matter the length. Minimizing the number of connections is another thing though.

What should be the maximum fuel hose lenght between the engine and hardlines? Should I install flared unions and extend the hardlines a bit? 

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
8/12/19 8:19 p.m.

I had a Thunderbird that had flexible fuel line from the tank all the way to the rail from the factory. I would consider running them inside something to keep them from being damaged and protect them from heat, but I wouldn't worry about them bursting. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6Ij0RKdCXE0e4rEx7SWU6qaDbTuxzD7eP6EZuFcssxlDg3WDWAKzYlyCZ5jPooZ8