SphinxRacing
SphinxRacing New Reader
12/22/20 10:18 a.m.

I saw that HF is selling a Maddox one that has good reviews, but does anyone know if it is accurate?  Other ones that this group finds are tried and true?  Snap Ons are great, as always, but spendy.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
12/22/20 1:19 p.m.

I usually start my search by looking at OTC when it is something I need to be better quality than HF.  From there I bounce around.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
12/22/20 5:20 p.m.

In reply to SphinxRacing :

Buy a leak down tester instead. It will tell you where the leak is rather than just that you have a leak in that cylinder. 
   Occasionally you'll save yourself a tear down if it's something you can fix without the tear down.

It will also give you a rate of leakage. Something to quantify the priority.      

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
12/26/20 8:06 p.m.

As I see it, compression testers don't need to be super accurate for most things. Really what are are doing is a good/meh/bad assessment.  If one hole is bad its going to be way off the others, not just a few psi.

amerson
amerson New Reader
1/18/21 2:01 a.m.

Lisle is a decent brand. I've had mine for at least 7 years, and it still works fine.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
1/18/21 10:41 a.m.
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) said:

As I see it, compression testers don't need to be super accurate for most things. Really what are are doing is a good/meh/bad assessment.  If one hole is bad its going to be way off the others, not just a few psi.

^^^ This.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3XCWlD0JxT1t0Ibwh7eac8e7W8KfD99n0TREqWgGik5Fmv6lhvaL1GOSzLOZihLU