Shawnb
Shawnb
6/15/17 10:08 a.m.

Hey guys and gals

I'm using a 302, out of a 95 Cobra in my vehicle. The car is being built for track days, but will see minimal street use. Obviously going to run an oil cooler, this will be my first install of one that will see street use. Normally I don't bother with a thermostat setup...

What's the easiest solution to running a thermostat?

Thanks!

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltraDork
6/15/17 10:22 a.m.

Buy a 2nd gen RX7 oil cooler with built in thermostat.

Shawnb
Shawnb New Reader
6/15/17 10:31 a.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote: Buy a 2nd gen RX7 oil cooler with built in thermostat.

I already have a nice aftermarket cooler.

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
6/15/17 11:29 a.m.

You should be able to buy a thermostatic valve, a sandwich plate, and a remote oil filter mount.

Then route like so:

(Yes I stole someones graphic)

We used them a lot on TPE331's in the same configuration.

Shawnb
Shawnb New Reader
6/15/17 1:08 p.m.

Thanks.

Is running rubber lines, a no-no?

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
6/15/17 1:35 p.m.

In reply to Shawnb:

Heater hose will swell when exposed to a bunch of hydrocarbons.

What you want is an SAE J30R9 formulation if you're going to use rubber. Goodyear says it will resist lubrication oil and is good up to 275 degrees F (135 C if you're metric).

Just make sure you have a large enough ID.

Shawnb
Shawnb New Reader
6/15/17 1:38 p.m.
The0retical wrote: In reply to Shawnb: Heater hose will swell when exposed to a bunch of hydrocarbons. What you want is an SAE J30R9 formulation if you're going to use rubber. Goodyear says it will resist lubrication oil and is good up to 275 degrees F (135 C if you're metric). Just make sure you have a large enough ID.

I have this stuff.... https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hda-112

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
6/15/17 1:46 p.m.

In reply to Shawnb:

That should work. That was the next suggestion if you could find some of that size.

Interested in a build thread of what you're installing it in too if you'd like to share in that forum.

Shawnb
Shawnb New Reader
6/15/17 1:53 p.m.
The0retical wrote: In reply to Shawnb: That should work. That was the next suggestion if you could find some of that size. Interested in a build thread of what you're installing it in too if you'd like to share in that forum.

Sure, I can make a build thread a bit later. In the process of collecting parts right now, while I wait on a custom engine mount kit to easily install the motor.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xO2i3vUjUHbA9wTSkU9L8ssQEgvklW8TZPvVPyOfmqKV9u2iYPbVZxMN2DD2z7lk