Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy PowerDork
2/21/16 5:52 p.m.

I had a small nut that wouldn't break loose on a clutch fan. There were too many wires, sensors, plastic and rubber hoses around it to use heat, and not enough space to get a socket in between the fan and the nut. My 12mm wrench just rounded the corners of the last nut after getting the first three off. I'm sure if I had a 6 point box end wrench that I could have gotten it loose from the start, but I didn't and once the edges were round, I was in trouble.

A 10" pipe wrench was able to grab the already ruined nut and break it loose without much issue.

mrwillie
mrwillie Dork
2/23/16 3:51 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy:

I like it. Point 1 - Brett_Murphy

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
2/23/16 3:52 p.m.

Brilliant.

gunner
gunner Reader
10/20/16 10:18 p.m.

One of the tools I got from my Grandpa after he passed was a 12-inch pipe wrench. That tool has gotten me out of some of the worst nut removal situations. Every time I use it I like to think my Grandpa is looking down on me whispering "There ya go bud, good job".

TurboFocus
TurboFocus New Reader
1/6/17 4:45 a.m.

If it's not horribly rounded and I have the room... I'll dig around the garage for a 6 sided socket and literally hammer it on the nut.

It's often put just enough shape back on it to take off and replace.

If it doesn't work I usually curse a lot and get creative. I do like the pipe wrench idea, I might have to go buy one just in case.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie New Reader
1/6/17 5:23 a.m.

For an application like that, you need battery pliers. All the grip of a pipe wrench without the fiddly adjustment.

petegossett
petegossett UltimaDork
1/6/17 6:00 a.m.

In reply to Cousin_Eddie:

Oh, that's what those are? I have a pair I acquired somewhere & had no idea what their intended purpose was. Thanks for the education!

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie New Reader
1/6/17 6:41 a.m.

They are called battery pliers because they were originally intended for corroded battery terminal bolts.

They are directional. When you use them properly, the harder you push down on the handles, the deeper they dig into the rounded off fastener. I've used plenty of pipe wrenches over the years on damaged hardware, but if the battery pliers will fit onto the fastener, they exceed pipe wrenches in their results.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/6/17 7:07 a.m.

I, too, enjoy the pipe wrench as a last resort. I skip a bunch of steps, though, I often find the vice grip, slotted pliers, heat etc just usually results in anger. The pipe wrench wrecks the fastener but will almost always get it out.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
1/7/17 1:05 a.m.
Cousin_Eddie wrote: For an application like that, you need battery pliers. All the grip of a pipe wrench without the fiddly adjustment.

Immediately searched online and bought from Home Depot with in store pick up by the 16th, less than a minute of my time from search to purchase! Have never needed them before now but a great tip. Thanks! Oh and btw not a canoe.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
1/7/17 7:30 a.m.

I just ordered some battery pliers as well. I have a drain plug on my well pump that I've managed to round off and get stuck. These look like the tool for the job.

petegossett
petegossett UltimaDork
1/7/17 1:21 p.m.

The only issue I've had with using a pipe wrench on a bolt is if the thickness of the jaws is more than 2x the thickness of the bolt head, it can be difficult to keep the wrench from twisting sideways off the head.

But a large pipe wrench & a 5'-long pipe worked wonders for removing the stuck axle nuts from a 924.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
1/7/17 1:46 p.m.
TurboFocus wrote: If it's not horribly rounded and I have the room... I'll dig around the garage for a 6 sided socket and literally hammer it on the nut.

12 pt seems to work better for me if it's really rounded off, more or less forms splines on the nut.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie New Reader
1/7/17 2:31 p.m.

I hope you fellows ordered good battery pliers. When the chips are down and you're throwing a Hail Mary, you need the good stuff. You want aggressive jaws that dig in like a bulldog.

Those Wilde brand ones I showed above are what I own. They can be bought for south of 20 bucks and they're made in USA. Wilde makes pliers for the big truck brands.

This is where I buy my Wilde tools cheap

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
1/8/17 10:07 p.m.

Yep got the Wilde ones at Home Depot.In reply to Cousin_Eddie:

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane Dork
1/12/17 6:28 p.m.

Thanks for the link and discussion, gents. My wilde brand battery pliers arrived today from amazon.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
1/12/17 7:59 p.m.

Just ordered mine. Hopefully they save my ass one day.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit UberDork
1/13/17 10:28 a.m.

I just ordered some from here http://www.harryepstein.com/.

jimbbski
jimbbski Dork
1/26/17 10:06 p.m.

Since my father was a "pipe fitter" I have his old tools which include pipe wrenches from 6 inches long to 24 inches. On the last one all you need to do is add a "cheater bar" and you will either remove it or break it, but something is going to happen!

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Reader
2/8/17 2:05 a.m.

Battery pliers are one of the best self tightening tools around. We use them at work all the time. I have no idea why I don't have them at home yet.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LBufYmDZX6gpzC2RDxQEdAD0NfSCxoWdawpZ7ZcbYC52R0alCC3AsqfnqmN8Ymub