759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
1/27/18 5:41 p.m.

OK 'yall ...looking for the do's & dont's on pressing out wheel studs from front hubs/rear axles.............GO!!!!

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy Dork
1/28/18 10:28 a.m.

OUT: Just thread a lug nut onto the last few threads, and use a BFH.

IN: Use a lug nut, and an appropriately sized stack of washers. An impact helps, but you can make do with a ratchet.

boxedfox
boxedfox New Reader
1/28/18 9:37 p.m.

Same technique as wheelsmithy when getting them OUT.

I use one of these with a 1/2" ratchet when pulling them IN:

http://amzn.to/2GsMorE

It's basically a bearing behind a round piece of metal shaped like the lug taper. It's a lot less effort than using a stack of washers since it rotates with the lug nut. You could probably do the same thing with a bearing behind a stack of washers, but I do enough lug replacements that I figured I'd buy the tool.

EDIT:

Just to add to this. Usually when I take the sledgehammer to the lug stud I'm planning to replace both the wheel bearing and the stud. If I care about reusing either of those two items I like to pull the hub off the car and support the back of the hub using one of the round dies from my ball joint press. In the cases that the hammer won't do it, I'll use the ball joint press itself to push the old stud out. But that's really rare.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
1/30/18 11:20 a.m.

My rule of thumb for knocking them out is to hit them once with a medium hard hit and see if they move. If they move or pop out, good to go, if not I support the back of the flange before hitting harder.

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
2/7/18 10:44 a.m.

Thanks Y'all

carlm21
carlm21
3/4/18 10:37 p.m.

hit on it with a rubber hammer or anything which can press it, not break it

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0Abm0ororFxPhZtz4gLeGgG9QaE4h2sUzUgMAY3ELwoyPswDfx3pI4oirtYQUcZU