obsolete Reader
6/14/21 1:13 p.m.

I just stumbled upon this and thought other GRMers might find it interesting. Looks like circa 2010, Ford started using sway bar end links on the F-150 with ball joints on both ends. These could be used as an upgrade for the "stack of stuff on a bolt" style of sway bar end links used on a lot of older cars, assuming the length and stud diameter work for whatever application.
The RWD version is 5.30" long: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1831540&cc=1444700&pt=7580&jsn=25
The 4WD version is 6.03" long: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3445419&cc=1444700&pt=7580&jsn=23

obsolete Reader
6/14/21 1:37 p.m.

Turns out there's an aftermarket product like this that already exists: RideTech Posi-Links. The Ford parts have the same benefits (no bushing squish, no binding) and are a lot cheaper, but you lose the adjustability...well, until you take a welder to them, anyway.

Mr_Asa UberDork
6/14/21 2:15 p.m.

Interesting.  Now, is there one that has the bolts that go perpindicular from the shaft?


obsolete Reader
6/15/21 4:40 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

Interesting.  Now, is there one that has the bolts that go perpindicular from the shaft?

That's the most common style, from what I've seen. Lots of cars and trucks use that style. Just depends what length and angles you're looking for.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
6/15/21 5:33 p.m.

Because of our country roads and long rough driveway, I went the other way on PW's car. Balljoint on the top, and urethane bushes on the bottom. I would have used urethane on both but I'll need to fab some brackets first as the mount is 90 degrees to the link

Barb_Dwyer New Reader
7/31/21 8:54 a.m.

In reply to obsolete :

That's interesting.  Do you know of a model with bolts that penetrate the shaft perpendicularly?

Our Preferred Partners