thedoc
thedoc Reader
12/5/20 7:03 p.m.

I was building a work bench and needed an extra set of hands.  I had seen this in handyman magazine, I think

No extra hands needed! Paint cans to the rescue.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
12/5/20 7:13 p.m.

Dont you have clamps?

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
12/5/20 7:31 p.m.

The screws in those front legs are loaded in shear. Bad juju if you plan to put anything heavy on the bench, or beat on it.

You should put another 2x4 on the inside of the legs to pick up the load from the benchtop and transfer it to the shelf below, then do the same below the bottom shelf to transfer the load to the floor. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
12/5/20 7:34 p.m.

Doubt I would have thought of paint cans, probably cause I don't have them around though.  Good job.

thedoc
thedoc Reader
12/6/20 1:36 a.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

Thanks for the tip.  I have the two bys to do it.  This is more for organization and storage though.  My beat on bench is awesome, or someone else does the thrashing. 

thedoc
thedoc Reader
12/6/20 1:41 a.m.

In reply to RossD :

I have clamps, for sure, but this was actually easier. I placed them and screwed them in. It's going to hold peg board or osb, I wasn't worried about perfect or pretty. I just needed to knock it out.

thedoc
thedoc Reader
12/6/20 1:44 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Thanks. I'm trying to get my garage ready for an organizational session. I can only spend so much time in there before either the cold or kerosene fumes get me.

amerson
amerson New Reader
1/21/21 1:30 a.m.

Thanks for this idea.  Will try it for sure.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PNjoz24knv4pSU1EvlUNdyaieJwZajC9tKztfFHrsHrQmSzmSPzYhbBTUus8q3ws