RonB001
RonB001 New Reader
2/26/19 8:32 p.m.

I've found that my daily driver Chrysler 300S is more competitive than expected in the local CAM-C autocross class.

In an effort to place higher than mid-class, I'm investigating tire choices.

Stock size is 245/45-20, and I'm running (and daily driving) Michelin Pilot Super Sports (300 TW) in that size.

Shopping for stickier alternates, I've found Bridgestone RE71R in 255/40-20 (~1/2" shorter) and Pirelli P Zero in 275/40-20 (Hellcat size, same diameter).  I'm stuck with 20's due to brake clearance, as I've added the Charger police pursuit brake package.

Short of buying both tires and running back-to-back comparisons, any idea as to how to figure which might be best?

Regards,

RonB

Floating Doc
Floating Doc Dork
2/26/19 8:36 p.m.

The Bridgestone RE71R is a proven top performer in autocross, and the slightly shorter diameter would provide slightly better acceleration.

They are pretty good in the wet, too.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
2/26/19 8:46 p.m.

1) What width are your wheels?

2)  I have never heard of the P Zero being a competitive ST tire, so I wouldn't even consider it.

RonB001
RonB001 New Reader
2/26/19 8:51 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc :

I know the RE71R is good.  I'm trying to figure out if it's good enough to make up for 20mm wider, but not quite as good.

On the other side of the coin, I might be able to daily the Pirelli's, but probably not the Bridgestones (or, maybe I could? just change them out every $winter$).  So, are they enough better to justify another set of wheels?

svxsti
svxsti Reader
3/9/19 2:00 p.m.

Check the minimum rim width for whatever tire size you choose and choose the biggest tire you have clearance for in the best model you can get. If you have the RWD model you have clearance for 305/30R22 in the rear.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
3/9/19 3:44 p.m.

Compound > width. All day every day. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yYo5pdKFlQNE0tIGyAAbvQOo8IR6PaT54p8g6MtDpaSAEcRdlhSfWXkjxMpxp4jM