MulletTruck
MulletTruck Reader
4/4/17 12:52 p.m.

For me the one thing I dont look forward to the most of every project is the wiring.

I always try to barter my way out of it by doing anything but wiring, tune up a rowdy horse? wrestle an alligator? dig a ditch? Im your Huckleberry. Wire a car or bike and you will hear nothing but bellyaching.

So im at the point on this project where I should start thinking of the wiring and plumbing. Soon I will tear apart my perfectly running and driving low mileage '85 Toyota Pickup and plunk it on the chassis I have been making.

So as I think about it I can either just splice in my American Excess into the Japanese Utilitarian and be done with it. Forcing SAE and the Metric systems to get along and not having too much trouble doing so, BUT....

I am hoping to recover as many green dollars as I can by selling the original rolling chassis with all the running gear and thinking I can get a few more of those green coupons to roll over into the project if I include the harness and computers for the EFI with the deal.

I know the kits from places like Painless and AAW can be a bit pricey but have seen some budget friendly kits too.

My truck will have no power windows and things like that so I have been looking at some of the smaller kits, I just need it to run a engine harness for a '75, If I gut the truck of its harness I will put in some aftermarket gauges and switches so those would be relatively easy to wire. Maybe have the option for A.C. in the future.

Is there a kit people like? Dislike?

Its not that I cant do the wiring, Just hate doing it.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
4/4/17 12:57 p.m.

There are many kits.

I can brain dump on you, as i used to do this for half my living. Dont do it anymore because of time and kid.

If you want to get a full on overwhelming education, give me a call after 5pm eastern time at 828-260-1254

Reason for call is taht i have no idea how to type through this stuff.

MulletTruck
MulletTruck Reader
4/11/17 1:50 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: There are many kits. I can brain dump on you, as i used to do this for half my living. Dont do it anymore because of time and kid. If you want to get a full on overwhelming education, give me a call after 5pm eastern time at 828-260-1254 Reason for call is taht i have no idea how to type through this stuff.

Thanks for the reply, I have been "Interviewing" a couple of the Wiring vendors and have decided that AAW will be my choice.

I will get a generic kit that would be overkill for my truck so it will allow me or the next owner to expand without a huge headache.

I have saved your number, Dont be surprised if I call!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
4/11/17 2:34 p.m.

Bring it on!!!

And American Auto wire is my top shelf answer. Their way of doing things is great. Id recommend the kit where it does not come pre-attached to the fuse blocks. Mych more flexibility.

MulletTruck
MulletTruck Reader
4/11/17 2:59 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Bring it on!!! And American Auto wire is my top shelf answer. Their way of doing things is great. Id recommend the kit where it does not come pre-attached to the fuse blocks. Mych more flexibility.

digdug18
digdug18 Dork
4/13/17 2:01 p.m.

I always choose to build, as I don't mind wiring or diagnosing electrical systems in the least. I've bought in the past, paid through the nose, and ended up rebuilding a good portion of the wiring in the end.

Most of the issues I've had are the end connectors, I prefer high quality crimps with the solder bullet and heat shrink built in, all in one connector. Or I solder it myself, and cover with the adhesive lined heat shrink.

I'd suggest pulling apart the full harness that came with your truck, remove the wires you aren't using, label everything, and then use that to roughly figure out the lengths for the wiring that you need. Then use that as a template to make a new harness for yourself. I'd use the factory fuse block, or perhaps a new one, depending on how many circuits that you actually need.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
4/13/17 2:02 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Bring it on!!! And American Auto wire is my top shelf answer. Their way of doing things is great. Id recommend the kit where it does not come pre-attached to the fuse blocks. Mych more flexibility.

I just got mine in the mail yesterday. I guess that means I have to actually install it now. crap.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
4/13/17 2:33 p.m.

The same offer goes for you Bob. I will happily be a tech department for rewiring older vehicles with aftermarket harnesses for anybody on this forum. Just don't expect me to type it because I suck with typing that kind of thing.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
4/13/17 3:08 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

lol! I appreciate that. I went through the box to check the contents... it looks really well done and fairly simple for what I'm needing/doing.

MulletTruck
MulletTruck Reader
4/14/17 10:56 a.m.

My project is pretty unconventional. I can see it being a bit easier just to tie in to the stock wiring but I think I will be removing the stock harness and selling it with the rolling chassis since the EFI is pretty much integrated. And since the engine is going in the back the harness would have to be swapped around in the truck anyways.

digdug18 wrote: I'd suggest pulling apart the full harness that came with your truck, remove the wires you aren't using, label everything, and then use that to roughly figure out the lengths for the wiring that you need. Then use that as a template to make a new harness for yourself. I'd use the factory fuse block, or perhaps a new one, depending on how many circuits that you actually need.
oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
4/14/17 11:36 a.m.

You speak my language....... dread of wiring

In my 1983 Corolla, I had ALL the original wiring removed in favor of am EZ wire harness, when I bought mine it was about half the cost of the Painless kit.

O went one step further and hired a guy to do the wiring... was worth every penny!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
4/14/17 11:50 a.m.

I used to be the guy that got paid to do it. I actually enjoy wiring from scratch.

MulletTruck
MulletTruck Reader
4/14/17 11:56 a.m.

Wanna Paid Vacation in Los Angeles? LOL

Dusterbd13 wrote: I used to be the guy that got paid to do it. I actually enjoy wiring from scratch.
Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
4/14/17 12:37 p.m.

In reply to MulletTruck:

Ummmmm.....

Hell yes?

MulletTruck
MulletTruck Reader
4/14/17 1:19 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: In reply to MulletTruck: Ummmmm..... Hell yes?

Dont be surprised if I call, I will give plenty of notice!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gkU1txFIZZpp1lTF130O1m5XCJolWhxtT3piqfsCai2oDoFIaS59lK1QXDb4EWfR