jere
jere HalfDork
5/16/17 8:55 a.m.

how is there a topic with no subject body?!

Assuming this is what the thread starter wanted too... Anyway anyone have a good spot/ enclosure for there garage pc/laptop? I need to find a solution for my music laptop, in a garage constantly filled with metal grindings. The amp is in a Craftsman tool box, but the laptop needs to be in a good spot to catch wifi from the house

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler UberDork
5/16/17 9:04 a.m.

For me, at least, having a smartphone is good enough, I don't need a real PC in the garage. I can use it for audio, to take pics, and to quickly look things up if I need to.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
5/16/17 9:09 a.m.

I bought a bluetooth speaker that plays stuff from my phone and I use that for lookups, parts diagrams and so on now.

But, I did used to keep an old linux PC booting off a USB stick in the bottom cabinet of my workbench and I hung an old 17" monitor on the wall behind it. A wireless mouse/keyboard in the top middle drawer. The supply died and I chucked it over the winter. I really don't miss it except the screen size when trying to look at diagrams or read instructions for something. Maybe what I need is a cheap tablet for the drawer.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
5/16/17 9:33 a.m.

Get a wireless gel keyboard to keep the shavings out and an external monitor. Put the laptop where you need it and put the rest where you run it and run cables for the monitor.

12 bucks on eBay

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
5/16/17 9:37 a.m.

The garage desktop PC sits on the shelf behind the garage desk. Music is run off a old Samsung tablet that sits on a shelf at the door and run through a Bluetooth receiver, a t-amp and a couple of Jensen speakers.

jere
jere HalfDork
5/17/17 2:21 p.m.

In reply to singleslammer:

Great idea on that waterproof/dustproof bt keyboard, I think that's the way I'm gonna go. I've got a junk monitor around that will do the trick too.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PGYLvK84jePFVl7Pg9PBBi7Pnmoxwx1m62dLndmW8f9UG1Oc8zIbPdYPOUsjlZoG