dcamp2
dcamp2 New Reader
2/13/18 1:32 p.m.

Did a buddies trip to Moab last week (thank you global warming) mostly rode mountain bikes, but had a few hours to kill and my 4runner...

https://youtu.be/Y3Q_h5y557c

My mind is thoroughly blown on how capable this thing is stock... I've never really been off-road much before and had way more fun than I thought.  I need tires soon- have started looking at 33's and what it takes to fit them.  

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
2/13/18 1:35 p.m.

My folks are flying us out there in may for their 50th anniversary.  My brother, dad and i are talking about renting something to go out and play with. 

These pictures are encouraging me....

dcamp2
dcamp2 New Reader
2/13/18 1:44 p.m.

Yes definitely rent something- you will have a blast.  We just goofed around on sand flats road- baby lions' back and the first bit of fins n things.  A rental Jeep or side-by-side should be able to get into a lot of fun!

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
2/13/18 1:46 p.m.

Sweet. One day I'd love to bike out there and do some rockcrawling. Quite the drive from Georgia though.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
2/13/18 1:49 p.m.

I love Moab. Due to the traction levels, you can do amazing things with a stock vehicle. I haven't spent much time there in the past few years, but I used to spend a lot of time bouncing around those red rocks.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago SuperDork
2/13/18 4:48 p.m.

You can fit 255/85-16s on the stock wheels no problem. They probably won't run anywhere. I'm running 285/75-16s on mine with an Old Man Emu lift and they do rub on the frame in the front at full lock, and the fenders liners a little bit when I've got a tire stuffed. You may have to flatten the pinch weld in the back of the front wheel wells. I haven't and it's never been an issue. You will want 4.88s in your diffs though, if you like to keep what little power these rigs have. Is yours equipped with a locker?

dcamp2
dcamp2 New Reader
2/13/18 7:05 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago said:

You can fit 255/85-16s on the stock wheels no problem. They probably won't run anywhere. I'm running 285/75-16s on mine with an Old Man Emu lift and they do rub on the frame in the front at full lock, and the fenders liners a little bit when I've got a tire stuffed. You may have to flatten the pinch weld in the back of the front wheel wells. I haven't and it's never been an issue. You will want 4.88s in your diffs though, if you like to keep what little power these rigs have. Is yours equipped with a locker?

That's the size I've been looking at (255/85R16)- seems like Maxxis Bighorn is the only affordable option.  I like that size due to not having to run wheel spacers.  Seems like a 1" body lift and a hammer is really all that I'd need to fit them?  

Mine does have the e-locker (that was handy in Moab), which also gives me 4.30 gears if the internet is correct.  I'm not going to re-gear.  This thing has very close to 300k miles and I'd like to keep the overall investment low at this point.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
2/13/18 8:27 p.m.
dcamp2 said:
... I'd like to keep the overall investment low at this point.

Then just leave it alone! Seriously, spend the money on more trips to Moab. It's capable enough to take you to all sorts of interesting places, and nothing burns money faster than trying to push the limits of a rig offroad. You keep trying until you roll or break.

dcamp2
dcamp2 New Reader
2/14/18 8:35 a.m.

haha but stock is no fun!!

In all seriousness I need tires and a direct set of replacement tires (same ones on the truck) are about $750, I can get the Maxxis in 33" for about the same and a 1" body lift is $150.  

When I was talking about low investment I meant I'm not going to re-gear or buy a real suspension lift (shocks/springs etc) in addition to new tires.  

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
2/14/18 8:45 a.m.

Just remember that taller tires does count as regearing.

onemanarmy
onemanarmy Reader
2/15/18 3:12 p.m.

booo...body lift

throws the lines/proportions all out of wack

crank torsion bars (free) and rear coil spacers ($20)...an inch all around.

265/75/16 are  made by most every manufacturer..is that what you have now?

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago SuperDork
2/15/18 3:36 p.m.

You don't need a body lift to fit those 255s and I would not recommend it. Honestly, I'd just go with 265/75-16s if you don't want to dump too much money into it. Like onemanarmy said, everyone makes that size so you'll have tons of options. They also won't rub anywhere. You've already seen how capable a bone stock 3rd gen with a locker is.

dcamp2
dcamp2 New Reader
2/16/18 8:41 a.m.
onemanarmy said:

booo...body lift

throws the lines/proportions all out of wack

crank torsion bars (free) and rear coil spacers ($20)...an inch all around.

265/75/16 are  made by most every manufacturer..is that what you have now?

Thanks for the input.  I have 265/75/16 right now.  

Neither of those stop a taller tire from bottoming on the underside of the fenders- the bump stops are still in the same place relative to the fender.  I agree the body lift is not the best thing, but it's cheap and it sounds like they are needed for fitting 33's?  Been searching toyota forums and nothing is consistent...

Radius on the 255/85 tire is +.85" vs what I have now. 

lift info

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SBR7PTc29XnMXAtr629MFl8FSyvpDq7hS81besQCrHgtyRlNi5rzhA4ufnK753Xk