Georges1991
Georges1991 New Reader
2/29/20 6:38 p.m.

Well, keeping in the vein of having very non-GRM cars, see my 1991 W150, I decided to add that.

I'll preface this with saying, I have a huge love for big, ahem, huge 60s/70s American stuff. It just does it for me, always has. Having owned lots of big Fords in the past, I wanted to try something different. 

My requirements were that the car would run, and drive, be rust free, and be a good fit for my daughter to come cruise around with me. 

Some stuff here and there caught my eye, went to look at some total busts. Including a memorable, as described "absolutely 100% rust free car" near Waterloo, Iowa, that I could put my hands through. After a 6 hour drive, the thought of committing several felonies was there, but dissipated as soon as I had the ability to mull over taking up residency in an Iowa Penitentiary.

Kinda gave up looking for a bit, been plugging away on the truck, and just general maintenance on the VW.

Saw some good looking pictures of a big, and clean looking Olds on Facebook marketplace, and sent the seller a message. Got a quick response, and an affirmation that the car was rust free, ran and drove. After getting some additional pictures of my areas of concern, I took this past friday off, and me and my usual copilot, my friend Gus, decided to make the trip.

We live in Chicago, and met at my mother's house near O'Hare. I work afternoons, so by the time I got to her house, it was nearly 2 AM. I did the tool loading, and checking that I had money, maps, and everything else. That all done I took an hour nap, and waited for my friend to show up at 04:45. We departed Chicago at 05:00 en route to Centerville Iowa.

Our route was as follows,

TriState Tollway (I-294) to the East-West Tollway (I-88) west to Interstate 74, near the Quad Cities. From there 74, down to Galesburg, Illinois, where we would follow US 34 to Burlington Iowa. US 61 down to Ft. Madison and cutting over to State 27 into Missouri. From there we'd take US 136 west to State 202, crossing back into Iowa, then State 2 for our final approach into Centerville. Route back was more or less the same with some small deviations.

I used to live in Galesburg, Illinois,  so we decided to shoot for breakfast there.

Had a great breakfast!

Hit a bit of a "log jam" (HA!) while waiting for IDOT to trim some trees on US 34

Nice Chevy on 34

Snake Alley in Burlington

Looking west on 136

And, what waited for us in Centerville

It's a 1975 Oldsmobile Regency 98. 455-4V, TH400, and all the options you could want. The car started its life, and spend most of it anyway, in Colorado, Montrose, to be exact. Extremely clean, with a new trans in 2014, and no rust to be found, it was a no brainier, we shook hands and I took possession of my new olds. The seller said he wouldn't trust the battery too long, it was an older Delco, so we headed over to the Wal-Mart and grabbed a decent enough replacement. Good CA, and CCA, and for 60 bucks I'm not complaining, it did its job.

Battery replaced, we headed back south out of town. I had noticed a roadside bar when we went through Downing, MO the first time, so we aimed the cars that way. But not before a fuel stop was required. The TDI was returning 46 MPG average so far, and only ended up using 32 dollars in fuel for the entire 755 miles it was driven.

Great food! The Hammer Mill Restuarant in Downing, MO

After lunch we hit the road again. Radio was working good, heat was going, and it was quite a comfy ride as I started to settle into the big Olds. It's the kind of car that you really do grow into. Every piece of yourself finding the right spot on the pillowtop upholstery, legs stretched out, warm enough to take off your jacket, as the outside temps hover precariously close to 15, and the strong wind is just a minor annoyance, to be felt but absolutely not heard as the big car slides down the road. Curves bumps and lane changes are accomplished by a vauge, unhurried, waddle over. 

Car running well, we stopped at a Flying J to check the tires and hit the bathrooms. At this point we decided our next stop would be the I-74 Rest Stop near the Quad Cities.

Night falls quickly in the Midwest winter. Although the days are lengthening, it can seem like dusk is nothing but a blink. This just about 8 O'Clock on I-74 near Woodhull, Illinois.

Groovin' along we headed towards Rochelle, where we would make our final fuel stop and hit it heavy towards the city. 

A healthy 11.44 MPG, and 24 gallons later, we got back on the Tollway, setting the cruise at 75 MPH. 

We made it back to my mother's house, where I'll be storing it for now, anyways, and got it in back. It'll go in the garage tomorrow after a good clean up, but I was too tired to do anything else last night!

700 miles. 15 hours start to finish!

Also some inside pictures, since I forgot to post any.

Car ran and drove great, needs an alignment, wheel is off a bit. Slight wind leak from one of the window weather strips. Also a good detailing! 

Well if you read this whole thing, thanks! 

George

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa HalfDork
2/29/20 7:11 p.m.

So weird to see Burlington Iowa in someone's pictures.

Nice looking car, any specific plans for it or just going to repair what is broke and drive it?

Georges1991
Georges1991 New Reader
2/29/20 7:24 p.m.

Lol I bet. I work for the Burlington Northern so I've worked out of Burlington a few times, its been a while though.

Yeah just gonna make sure it's all in good order as its sat for a few years. It'll get a dual exhaust, something quiet but good flowing. Build a relay for the headlights, new speakers etc. Just want a nice car I can hop in and put 300 miles on in comfort on a nice day 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa HalfDork
2/29/20 8:28 p.m.

I end up at the ammo plant periodically for work.  Its not a bad area to spend a week in, provided it isn't winter and provided it isn't too many weeks in a row.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
2/29/20 8:58 p.m.

I love 98's and Delta 88's - big old boats.  

My dad bought a '68 98 2 door new and kept it until 1984. It held my parents in front with a hanging car seat and four kids in back. Today you couldn't do that.  

455 cid engine, 4-barrel carb that drank premium fuel at 10mpg when I drove it in high school.  This car is why I bought a Datsun for my first car.  

Georges1991
Georges1991 New Reader
2/29/20 9:03 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

The '68 2 doors were gorgeous automobiles. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
2/29/20 9:55 p.m.

Another Chicago area GRMer here. That is a fine automobile you have acquired. I'm guessing fairly cheap because it's a 4 door?

Georges1991
Georges1991 New Reader
2/29/20 10:14 p.m.

Yeah I paid 3k, which I thought was fair for a rust free example. Proably more than some would, but I'm happy with it.

Oh neat! I know we have a few. Where are you at? South side of the city here.

Georges1991
Georges1991 New Reader
2/29/20 10:40 p.m.

Oh and at the bar we stopped at, EVERY vehicle except for our two was a Silverado. Every one.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
3/1/20 6:43 a.m.

That car looks like it's in truly exceptional condition. I love it!

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
3/1/20 7:23 a.m.
Georges1991 said:

Yeah I paid 3k, which I thought was fair for a rust free example. Proably more than some would, but I'm happy with it.

That's a great price - any rust work would eat up money so you are ahead of the game.  The rear fender skirts are the first to rust out and those look pristine.  I went to high school from 1977-1980 and most all the $500 cars my friends drove were Delta 88's and Catalina's so I feel called to these barges.

Oh yeah, I haven't seen an ashtray inside a restaurant in a long time.....   

Georges1991
Georges1991 New Reader
3/1/20 7:59 a.m.

Thanks guys! 

Yeah its astoundingly clean. My friend in Colo. said there's little to no salt use in that region it's from and it shows. The frame is still black and the floors you can eat off of. Not a spot of rust anywhere. That was the big motivation to jump on it.

Lol yeah most places now I'd imagine have done away with smoking, although even here in Chicago, there's still a few that'll openly flaunt the "ban". Missouri has no such law

chandler
chandler PowerDork
3/1/20 7:40 p.m.

I lived a few miles from centerville for a couple years in the early 90's. Went to school in Missouri at the time. That town was a hotbed of old cars, bought my LRT there. Amazing that a car like that has made it this long in such good shape, well bought!

Robbie
Robbie MegaDork
3/3/20 2:41 p.m.

Nice!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xq5b5LCoxR75GCl0mKFHuYOBjg1ctWwwKCBPT5OOLMboE0OgZtIeg8NNnLiaUhiV