NGTD
NGTD Dork
6/25/13 10:33 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
NGTD wrote: Welcome to living up north - many of our lakes look like that.
Tom Suddard wrote: The water was crystal clear!
Funny, the lakes in Muskoka (Ontario) look like tea. Which they pretty much are. I think they only go clear when they're dead.

Depends on the lake - Lake Temagami is so clear you can see coins on the bottom with 10 ft. of water. Lots of naturally occuring lime in the lack keeps the water clear.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Intern
6/25/13 10:38 a.m.

Here's what the drive home was like:

Also, it's really, really cold here in the morning. We're talking high 60s! Luckily, our condo has a fireplace. Here's Katie taking advantage of it:

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr HalfDork
6/25/13 10:42 a.m.

Geez!

How did you guys survive without freezing?

Ha!

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
6/25/13 12:16 p.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: ...and Mom got a Chubby Mary.

Magie, you are a brave woman. There's no way in hell I'd try drinking something like that.

bluej
bluej Dork
6/25/13 12:50 p.m.
NGTD wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote:
NGTD wrote: Welcome to living up north - many of our lakes look like that.
Funny, the lakes in Muskoka (Ontario) look like tea. Which they pretty much are. I think they only go clear when they're dead.
Depends on the lake - Lake Temagami is so clear you can see coins on the bottom with 10 ft. of water. Lots of naturally occuring lime in the lack keeps the water clear.

Zebra mussels have also increased water clarity, though usually at another expense.

BillyC54
BillyC54 None
6/25/13 4:18 p.m.

Hey Guys. Having fun following your vacation trip. Oregon, Illinois is not that far away on your way home. Just sayin'!

Brokeback
Brokeback New Reader
6/25/13 4:27 p.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: Then we climbed a different dune!

I recall climbing dunes in Death Valley...dry sand SUCKS to walk up. 1 step forward, 0.999 steps back. I have since discovered a much more enjoyable way of climbing dunes!

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Event Marketing
6/25/13 5:39 p.m.

We're hanging out in downtown Traverse City with the Hagerty folks now; 46 beers on tap here!

iceracer
iceracer UberDork
6/25/13 5:50 p.m.

Man, I would be happy to see 60 degrees again. Too much like Florida lately.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Reader
6/25/13 8:27 p.m.

On the one hand: someone sneaked a perch or something into your perfectly good bloody mary.

On the other hand: A cocktail which may also be employed to chop down the mightiest tree in the forest for the Knights Who 'Til Recently Said "Nee". Brilliant.

noddaz
noddaz HalfDork
6/25/13 8:54 p.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: We're hanging out in downtown Traverse City with the Hagerty folks now; 46 beers on tap here!

Wait... You went drinking with car insurance guys? Awesome...

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
6/25/13 9:09 p.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote:
Tom Suddard wrote:
Where the berkeley are your helmets? What would have happened to the kids if one of you wrecked? Even if it was time in the hospital with no serious injuries, that would have made the vacation crappy. It is just not worth the risk. (Harsh, I know. However, I have broken helmets on Skis and on Bikes that saved my life. Both times I was travelling less than 15 mph). Rob R.

Oh wow. I was totally expecting an "LOL" at the end. If you ever catch me wearing a helmet riding a beach cruiser (or whatever,) please remove said helmet, and beat me to death with the business-end of a clawhammer.

That is a berkeleying great pic. Congrats, Suddards, on being awesome.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
6/25/13 9:11 p.m.
Curmudgeon wrote:
Magie, you are a brave woman. There's no way in hell I'd try drinking something like that.

Mike: You're a bitch if you don't eat the worm...err...eyeballs.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
6/26/13 9:00 a.m.
poopshovel wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:

Dood, I do NOT eat/drink anything that stares back at me.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
6/26/13 9:02 a.m.

Your backsides sore from sitting so much yet?

Getting seat sores? (they're like bed sores from sitting in the same position so long)

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Event Marketing
6/26/13 9:16 a.m.

This morning we're starting off with a tour of Hagerty headquarters. I think this is where the circle of elders meets.

Brokeback
Brokeback Reader
6/26/13 9:35 a.m.
iadr wrote: ...Dune buggies are dangerous in in experienced hands- I rented one in my youth in NorCal and went up and down a few "Sine" shaped hills. Great fun until I went over the peak of one and there was no other side- it was a 40+ ft sheer drop. Got me some all over chest bruises from the straps as I went round a couple times. &... Said bruises got admired a week later in my tank top by a leather pants wearing guy an a bar in San Fran. Umm, hi, umm, no thanks.

No argument with that....Pismo is ok once you learn that going away from the ocean means there will be a drop off at every crest, since the wind goes in one direction.

I'd say its pretty similar to most motorsports...there is a risk but you can eliminate most of the danger by knowing the limits of you and your machine

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/26/13 9:46 a.m.

Notice the Circle of Elders are all right handed.

Brokeback
Brokeback Reader
6/26/13 9:48 a.m.
914Driver wrote: Notice the Circle of Elders are all right handed.

I see 2 lefties in there!

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 HalfDork
6/26/13 10:09 a.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: Time for pictures!

I remember these. One of the fastest cars I've ever driven (from 0 to 30 mph anyway). I really liked the little button on the "shifter" that would turn the regenerative braking on and off too - pretty neat. Glad to see some of them still exist.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
6/26/13 10:35 a.m.
Brokeback wrote:
914Driver wrote: Notice the Circle of Elders are all right handed.
I see 2 lefties in there!

That's because the two lefties are clearly the ones in charge, then there's a whole bunch of righty minions. As it should be.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/26/13 11:39 a.m.

My apologies, I see one.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
6/26/13 12:18 p.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: This morning we're starting off with a tour of Hagerty headquarters. I think this is where the circle of elders meets.

I suspect that the elders are all standing by the mailbox, waiting for my check.

turboswede
turboswede PowerDork
6/26/13 12:38 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:

My wife loves fish heads and says the eyes are the best part. Anthony Bordain agrees. I'm with Mike though food staring at you? Yeah, no berkeleying way.

ZOO
ZOO SuperDork
6/26/13 1:07 p.m.

Chubby means something else entirely here in Southeastern Ontario.

You are close enough to Canada that you may run into a stubby, too:

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AuOMYbAMl3whZN6mer2ccHGyyFopucFfS6y8BeAbjtSwWLYbpGVDdHFbMrGAXtgK