ArthurDent
ArthurDent HalfDork
6/26/13 3:20 p.m.

The trunk of my old Honda S600 was full of those chubby bottles.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Event Marketing
6/26/13 5:14 p.m.

Time for another update—dinner time!

emodspitfire
emodspitfire Reader
6/26/13 5:34 p.m.

Jeez! I love that part of MI in the summer!

Rog

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
6/27/13 8:47 a.m.

I can't believe how nice the weather has been up here. I never thought I would fall in love with Michigan.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
6/27/13 8:48 a.m.

And yeah, the fish thing was seriously nasty!

RossD
RossD PowerDork
6/27/13 8:51 a.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: Time for another update—dinner time!

That life guard is going to get his slacks wet if someone is having trouble swimming.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UberDork
6/27/13 9:02 a.m.

Michigan and Minnesota have the best summer and fall seasons - enough to make you forget how long winter lasts. Ever see the changing leaves along the Lake Michigan shore up the west side of Michigan? Just don't complain when the snow lingers through the first of April.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
6/27/13 9:04 a.m.
Datsun310Guy wrote: Michigan and Minnesota have the best summer and fall seasons - enough to make you forget how long winter lasts. Ever see the changing leaves along the Lake Michigan shore up the west side of Michigan? Just don't complain when the snow lingers through the first of April.

Maine is the same way.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/27/13 9:21 a.m.
ArthurDent wrote: The trunk of my old Honda S600 was full of those chubby bottles.

I once pulled a stubby out of a sousaphone. And no, that is not a euphemism.

Can't talk about summer in Michigan without talking about bugs. If it's like Ontario, you've got horseflies, mosquitoes, deerflies, mosquitoes, blackflies, mosquitoes, noseeums and a whole host of others.

beans
beans Reader
6/27/13 1:21 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
ArthurDent wrote: The trunk of my old Honda S600 was full of those chubby bottles.
I once pulled a stubby out of a sousaphone. And no, that is not a euphemism. Can't talk about summer in Michigan without talking about bugs. If it's like Ontario, you've got horseflies, mosquitoes, deerflies, mosquitoes, blackflies, mosquitoes, noseeums and a whole host of others.

Nonsense, poopypants! I REALLY like living here in comparison to the summers in Denver. Everything just seems so... ALIVE here. Living out west for the past 7 years made me realize how beautiful it is here in the summer. Sure, the humidity thing kinda sucks on hot days, and some bugs can be a pain, but I think it's worth it. Citronella candle/firepit takes care of most of them.

Datsun310Guy wrote: Michigan and Minnesota have the best summer and fall seasons - enough to make you forget how long winter lasts. Ever see the changing leaves along the Lake Michigan shore up the west side of Michigan? Just don't complain when the snow lingers through the first of April.

I love living in this swampass part of the country. One quick drive up north and you're chillin' wit da Jimmers. I've seen fall in Aspen, CO(really nice), but Michigan takes the cake so far. But yes, late summer and into fall are absolutely PERFECT.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
6/27/13 1:34 p.m.

^What's up with you guys north of the Mason-Dixon line talking about "hot" and "humidity"?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/27/13 1:40 p.m.

You can't touch the beauty of the northeast in the fall, the colors are fantastic. And I never had to worry about an irrigation system there. Of course, here I don't have to shovel the driveway.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
6/27/13 2:16 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: ^What's up with you guys north of the Mason-Dixon line talking about "hot" and "humidity"?

North of the Mason-Dixon line? You mean to imply there's anything South of it?
I don't see it on my map?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 HalfDork
6/27/13 2:20 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
z31maniac wrote: ^What's up with you guys north of the Mason-Dixon line talking about "hot" and "humidity"?
North of the Mason-Dixon line? You mean to imply there's anything South of it? I don't see it on my map? i left my snow shovel and creosote/undercoating north of it, and never missed them. though i do miss the summers up in nw pa area, and the fall. think ill take my family up there this year and show them how dad grew up.
06HHR
06HHR Reader
6/27/13 3:12 p.m.

I'm sorry, but for The Deep North you need to draw a diagonal line across florida stretching from Daytona/Ormond Beach to the eastern edge of Monroe County... With small outposts around Disney and Tampa Bay/St Petersburg..

dean1484
dean1484 UberDork
6/27/13 3:24 p.m.

Tom you should really sticky this thread for a week or two. It is a great read.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
6/27/13 5:26 p.m.

That's the problem with Florida, it truly is the Deep North. There are so many Yankees down there that they ruin the whole southern atmosphere.

Also very few of them know how to drive.

I learned to talk to myself when I was driving when I lived in Fla. The Yankees usually had never driven in their lives till the visited Florida so you had to "talk them through" every corner or different circumstance. OK I mean yell loud enough that they could hear you so they'd know what to do.

Tom Suddard
6/27/13 5:29 p.m.

We just got to Carl Heideman's lake house. :D Time to figure out if 5 GRMers can actually light a grill.

Oh, and who remembers Speedvision? We toured a shop and saw this today:

shadetree30
shadetree30 Reader
6/27/13 6:03 p.m.
ZOO wrote: Chubby means something else entirely here in Southeastern Ontario. You are close enough to Canada that you may run into a stubby, too:

They escaped from Pennsylvania eons ago...

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado UltimaDork
6/27/13 10:28 p.m.
ZOO wrote: Chubby means something else entirely here in Southeastern Ontario. You are close enough to Canada that you may run into a stubby, too:

"Yeah, let me have a Rock-n-rye, and seven Carlings."

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
6/27/13 11:04 p.m.

Have David and JG been in the trunk this whole time!? What gives!? Also. No offense David, but it's freaking me out that our lack of fashion sense is so similar. Me today: Black T-shirt from my buddy's Army Surplus store, camo shorts, VANS Rowley's.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
6/27/13 11:05 p.m.

PS: Ditch the socks, or go for black half socks, per the queen's rule.

Tom Suddard
6/28/13 9:47 a.m.

Today's project: a boat ride! Check out Carl's tow vehicle:

JG and David have been riding on the roof.

beans
beans Reader
6/28/13 10:12 a.m.

You had me at bloody mary and oldsmobile.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UberDork
6/28/13 11:19 a.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: Today's project: a boat ride! Check out Carl's tow vehicle:

My son just graduated this past December from Hope College - I "hope" I never have to drive to Holland ever again.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dFPM3B6ByxArudEjI3LTvdGdMR5gwHHEsbfMSyAbwM9a0pzGcBiYctBPpGqhX875