6 7 8 9 10
Antihero
Antihero SuperDork
7/6/19 11:42 a.m.
JohnInKansas said:

In reply to Antihero :

Still dead serious about garage space just west of KC. If you want to check your rotors/axles/studs after a couple hundred miles, you're more than welcome to do so here. Let me know 30 minutes in advance and I'll have a spot cleared for you in the garage.

Thank you very much, I might take you up on that offer

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
7/6/19 2:27 p.m.

If you’re going through great bend, ks, let me know when.  My dad is there and I can see if he would be around to help look at your car.  Email me at my user name at yarhoo but do it asap as I might not be around my phone for a while

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) UberDork
7/6/19 3:04 p.m.

I’m glad that the broken stud wasn’t one of the brand new ones- but I would still recommend keeping a close eye on them as I replaced both hubs (at the same time) since I got the Rampage, so it isn’t like they’ve had 30 years of wear on them. Of course, they did go through an all-AX Challenge so that likely didn’t help things.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
7/6/19 3:14 p.m.

You are as bad as I am when it comes to not giving up.

You can always hedge your bets and rent a chase car for like the next 300 miles or whatever it takes to convince yourself it is all good. At least one of you will survive to tell the story?! 

Pete

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
7/6/19 5:08 p.m.

The fact that it was an old stud would make me continue on the journey, as well.  Can you post photos of the threads on the broken studs, as well as the broken area itself?  Sounds like they were overtorqued to me.

Antihero
Antihero SuperDork
7/6/19 5:29 p.m.

So, I replaced the broken stud, took it on a test drive around the block, pulled it back in to retorque the lug nuts....snapped another old one by hand.

So....I have enough studs to replace all the old ones and I'm obviously gonna have to do that. It's slightly a bitch punching them back in, I'm pulling them in the last bit with a sacrificial lug nut and a wrench to space it.

I'll go down in a sec and grab an old stud Cooter, but broken or not the threads look undamaged

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia HalfDork
7/6/19 5:33 p.m.

are all the broken ones either on the  front axle or the rear axle ?

Antihero
Antihero SuperDork
7/6/19 5:33 p.m.
NOHOME said:

You are as bad as I am when it comes to not giving up.

You can always hedge your bets and rent a chase car for like the next 300 miles or whatever it takes to convince yourself it is all good. At least one of you will survive to tell the story?! 

Pete

I am..... relentlessly stubborn at times lol

Don't get me wrong, I haven't called off the transport yet but they doubt they can get to me until the middle of next week so I probably have some time.

Antihero
Antihero SuperDork
7/6/19 5:44 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

All on the front, which is also suspicious

Antihero
Antihero SuperDork
7/6/19 5:45 p.m.
jfryjfry said:

If you’re going through great bend, ks, let me know when.  My dad is there and I can see if he would be around to help look at your car.  Email me at my user name at yarhoo but do it asap as I might not be around my phone for a while

We are, and I sent you an email. Thanks!

californiamilleghia
7/6/19 6:22 p.m.
Antihero said:

All on the front, which is also suspicious

Yes but it narrows it down , how many miles did those rims have on those hubs ?

Antihero
Antihero SuperDork
7/6/19 7:11 p.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

At least 750

Antihero
Antihero SuperDork
7/6/19 7:35 p.m.

Here you go cooter

Antihero
Antihero SuperDork
7/6/19 7:40 p.m.

And today I was hit by a surreal moment.....

I'm sitting there sweating balls and my dad calls my wife to check up on us. She told him that I wasn't letting her help enough and then they proceeded to talk about their project. They are gonna build something air cooled vw, bug or karmann Ghia.

So not only is she having fun on this trip but she's excited to start her own project. I'm a lucky man

Antihero
Antihero SuperDork
7/6/19 7:41 p.m.

And....all new studs!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
7/6/19 7:53 p.m.
Antihero said:

So the sun finally came out and i finally pulled the wheel off.

The stud that broke is NOT a new one. It's an old one which means that it's not a new problem, it's the same problem and the studs were weakened. There is no damage to the studs at all, no threads we're harmed at all. So you know what that means?

IT MEANS RAMPAGE ACROSS AMERICA IS ON ONCE AGAIN!

O Reilly has some studs and I'm gonna replace probably all the old ones. I'm perfectly fine with that outcome, if it was a new stud then I would have shipped it home but now? I'll fix that, guess I should have listened to myself when I say that I should never gave anyone else work on my stuff

I’m about a page behind the current posts, but this one deserves a berkeley YEAH!

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
7/6/19 7:54 p.m.
Antihero said:

They are gonna build something air cooled vw, bug or karmann Ghia.

So not only is she having fun on this trip but she's excited to start her own project. I'm a lucky man

If your wife starts an acvw build project with your dad I'm pretty sure you win GRM.  I'm not sure I could let them have all the fun tho, I'd feel left out, almost cheated on, tho I'm not sure by who.

Excited this adventure isn't dead yet, you two will be talking about this for a long time. yes

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
7/6/19 7:58 p.m.

Also, when pulling studs in using a lug nut, grease the berkeley out of the knurls.  get two flat washers, grease the berkeley out of them, and put them on the stud before putting the sacrificial lug nut on.  Makes life much easier.

also, looks like I was only a few posts behind.  The page break fooled me.

Antihero
Antihero SuperDork
7/6/19 8:12 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

Also, when pulling studs in using a lug nut, grease the berkeley out of the knurls.  get two flat washers, grease the berkeley out of them, and put them on the stud before putting the sacrificial lug nut on.  Makes life much easier.

also, looks like I was only a few posts behind.  The page break fooled me.

Lots of grease, I can do that!

I've never had to replace one, so that's new.

Along with this being the first Mopar I've owned, the first turbo, I took my first flight for this trip and the first time I've been anywhere but California or the northwest

Antihero
Antihero SuperDork
7/6/19 8:26 p.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

I’m glad that the broken stud wasn’t one of the brand new ones- but I would still recommend keeping a close eye on them as I replaced both hubs (at the same time) since I got the Rampage, so it isn’t like they’ve had 30 years of wear on them. Of course, they did go through an all-AX Challenge so that likely didn’t help things.

Im gonna replace them all, I tried to half ass it and Roni told me to go berkeley myself lol

Antihero
Antihero SuperDork
7/6/19 8:28 p.m.
Dead_Sled said:
Antihero said:

They are gonna build something air cooled vw, bug or karmann Ghia.

If your wife starts an acvw build project with your dad I'm pretty sure you win GRM.  I'm not sure I could let them have all the fun tho, I'd feel left out, almost cheated on, tho I'm not sure by who.

Excited this adventure isn't dead yet, you two will be talking about this for a long time. yes

I admit air cooled has never been my thing, but my dad has built a few including a bus he turned  into a camper that he and my mom went on a road trip honeymoon on.

Apparently this may either be a multi hundred hp scary bug or.....a challenge one.

Antihero
Antihero SuperDork
7/7/19 9:08 a.m.

Got up early and did the studs on the other side. The one the shop replaced isn't exactly right and he wrapped them in electrical tape to make it snug. I'm not sure it super matters but I'll have to buy another stud and I think I'll replace it too. Remember me saying I never have good luck with someone else working on my stuff?

Antihero
Antihero SuperDork
7/7/19 9:11 a.m.

Now, I eat some breakfast. The lobby at the hotel is actually pretty impressive

californiamilleghia
7/7/19 9:18 a.m.

one the one that the other guy replaced , 

one mine the old bolt had wobbled out the hole  so it would not come off without an air impact , 

putting it back together we needed to weld a few tacks so it would not spin and could be tightened up , 

might be why the tape is on there......

Antihero
Antihero SuperDork
7/7/19 9:29 a.m.

one the one that the other guy replaced , 

one mine the old bolt had wobbled out the hole  so it would not come off without an air impact , 

putting it back together we needed to weld a few tacks so it would not spin and could be tightened up , 

might be why the tape is on there......

You are probably right, although it is tightening so far

6 7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hDFWkZQRaCyDkz9yTtO9FDOl833gpEd0Kh4OikLgmZZC0wTKAjJH4rCAM7BmF8SE