1 2
EvanB
EvanB UltimaDork
5/14/16 5:13 p.m.

My cousin is getting married west of Dallas on May 21. I have been through lots of options to roadtrip out but finally settled on a final plan.

I am going to take the Montero I bought for $400 and the Honca CT90 I bought for $100 and hopefully have some fun out west. The plan is to leave Thursday May 19 and get to Mineral Wells, TX on Friday. The wedding is Saturday and Sunday I am driving out to Albuquerque to visit my grandparents. After that I am heading north to Ouray, CO and the surrounding area to camp and explore with the CT90. I don't have any definite plans after that other than booking it home for work after memorial day.

The $400 Montero, ran new brake lines and I have put 4k miles on it since:

The CT90 was advertised on GRM for $100. I traded two rx7 transmissions for it that I had less than $100 invested in and with a new battery it has been running decent:

Today I built a quick sleeping platform for the Montero so I don't have to move everything to sleep in the back. The base is 2x4 scavenged from the scrap pile at the lumber yard and the top is made from a sheet of 1/2 plywood with the rear section hinged for easier access.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
5/14/16 5:37 p.m.

Sounds like a fun trip.

You damn well better post a lot of pictures. Like 100s of them.

And some words. We like words too.

Brokeback
Brokeback Reader
5/14/16 5:38 p.m.

Sounds like fun! I went on a four wheeling trip up near silverton/ouray last summer - beautiful area. We camped in the back of my Montero on a similar platform - finding level parking was sometimes a challenge!

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
5/14/16 8:32 p.m.

It does sound like a fun trip!

I look forward to reading about it.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
5/15/16 12:43 p.m.

This is gonna be great! Take lots of pics!!

EvanB
EvanB UltimaDork
5/15/16 6:52 p.m.

The flimsy hitch carrier isn't exactly confidence inspiring but it should work.

I'll be sure to take lots of pictures and possibly video.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
5/15/16 7:31 p.m.

Run a strap from the corner of the hitch carrier to the spare tire mount or something- a little support on one end does wonders for the stability of those things.

EvanB
EvanB UltimaDork
5/15/16 7:42 p.m.

In reply to ¯_(ツ)_/¯:

Good idea, I'll give that a shot.

EvanB
EvanB UltimaDork
5/16/16 5:14 p.m.

Strapped the corner of the hitch carrier to the spare and it was much better on the test drive to work today.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
5/17/16 8:20 a.m.

Sounds like a blast! Can't wait to see the pics and read the story!

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired Reader
5/17/16 8:35 a.m.

Looking forward to this one.

And that looks like a steal for $400

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
5/19/16 8:01 p.m.

In reply to EvanB:

Hard to tell from your picture but does the bike completely block your right side tail light?

EvanB
EvanB UltimaDork
5/19/16 9:51 p.m.

Not completely.

Currently stopped for the night west of little rock. Surprisingly averaging just over 20mpg so far.

EvanB
EvanB UltimaDork
5/20/16 1:00 p.m.

Saw a Sonett parked at the house next to Bill Clinton's childhood home.

EvanB
EvanB UltimaDork
5/23/16 7:14 p.m.

The ct90 died on some back roads in Texas. It appears to be done for. Has fuel and spark, will not fire on starting fluid. The compression tester I have available is the wrong thread but it doesn't feel like much compression with my finger over the spark plug hole.

New plan is to rent a dirt bike in Ouray.

I will take pictures when I get to the more interesting part of the trip tomorrow.

EvanB
EvanB UltimaDork
5/23/16 7:18 p.m.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
5/24/16 12:41 a.m.

Wow, that is beautiful. Where is that?

EvanB
EvanB UltimaDork
5/24/16 8:32 a.m.

Sandia peak, Albuquerque.

Monday was spent in Albuquerque with my grandparents. I visited the nuclear museum, I had been before but they moved into a new building. It is especially interesting going with my grandparents because my granddad was involved with the Manhattan project.

petegossett
petegossett UltimaDork
5/24/16 12:12 p.m.
EvanB wrote: It is especially interesting going with my grandparents because my granddad was involved with the Manhattan project.

That's awesome! I seriously hope he's documented at least some of his chronicles, that's the kind of history that really needs to be recorded.

EvanB
EvanB UltimaDork
5/25/16 11:41 p.m.

In reply to petegossett:

He was a mechanical engineer working on the detonation mechanisms for the bombs. Most of the stories I have heard are of the people he worked with and life at the time. I'll have to ask if he has recorded anything.

EvanB
EvanB UltimaDork
5/26/16 12:07 a.m.

Just settled into a fancy hotel in Denver. I'll post more when I get pictures off my real camera.

EvanB
EvanB UltimaDork
5/26/16 1:07 a.m.

stan
stan UltraDork
5/26/16 6:33 a.m.

Looks a tad cool there! Hope you packed for it -but I'm sure you knew what to expect.

Mid-80S here today

Great pictures!

Stay safe!

EvanB
EvanB UltimaDork
5/26/16 11:32 p.m.

For everyone that updates adventure threads with pictures while on the road you have my respect. I just settled into a motel in Independence, MO on the way home. I'll do a full write-up with pictures sometime this weekend.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
5/27/16 5:45 a.m.

In reply to EvanB:

Looking forward to it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nseDJbGxDs08EXmLwhu4RP6ZVO5jLmFudJoa7uKYTeuIUNMsP8qanc5uuKZ71nVt