Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
2/17/17 6:26 a.m.

My wife doesn't really understand - nobody has Silverado's in Chicago?

I found a deal on a 2016 Chevrolet Silverado LS 4X4 in Indianapolis that I am happy with and I have to get it tomorrow. They offered me $2,000 on my Accord so I can't drive down and trade it in but I did consider renting a two wheel dolly and towing back the Accord. I fly SWA Saturday morning and the last minute flight cost me $207. The Greyhound bus was quoting me $25 but I really don't want this to be a LONG trip to Indy.

More details to follow as I take my little adventure.

Oh yeah, except for the beater 1987 Lincoln Town Car I bought off my dad for $1,500 this is the first vehicle in my life that has a V8 engine . Too many little Datsun's all my life.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
2/17/17 2:49 p.m.

You bought a truck. It was meant to tow the Accord.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
2/17/17 4:16 p.m.

So you're going with a 4x4?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
2/17/17 6:07 p.m.

I didn't want to but if I build a WT 4x2 I'm in the $33-34,000 range. This LS was $28,000. I also won't buy the V6.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
2/19/17 7:28 a.m.

The wife dropped me off at Chicago's Midway Airport at 7:30am on Saturday, 2/18/2017. If you have never been through Midway Airport it was once the busiest airport in the world (1929) and then at one point was slated to close to push the traffic to O'Hare Airport. Midway History

A few of my favorites from Midway:

1. Best food is the Illinois Grill - you see all the pilots in line here. The popcorn smell from "Nuts on Clark" is the best.

2. Plane hanging - you can spend some time reading all the history.

3. If you have never flown here - you fly over the houses - kind of cool - My mother was raised near Midway and used to tell me that when the DC3's flew in you stopped talking on the phone and waited a few seconds - they were loud.

4. Pretty view of downtown Chicago.

5. The Quarry - one reason I need a truck!

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
2/19/17 8:45 p.m.

That's Thornton Quarry. I grew up around there. You have no idea the size of it until you're in the air.

It's also deceiving on 80-94, because you think the interstate is on a bridge and it's actually the wall between the two holes.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
2/19/17 8:51 p.m.

Also, a useless bit of history. There used to be a railroad line that ran right through the middle of Midway Airport.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
2/19/17 9:27 p.m.

My favorite Midway story is my mom lived 1 mile from Midway Airport and my grandfather was a valve inspector for the Crane company and he flew to some parts of the country. Once he got back and he called home to have one of his daughters pick him up but my mom was on the phone talking forever to her girlfriend.

Finally he walked home carrying his toolbox and suitcase mad as a wet hen - my mom told me she was in big trouble.

sirrichardpumpaloaf
sirrichardpumpaloaf HalfDork
2/20/17 2:17 a.m.

Midway to Indy..... I bet you never even got your seat back out of its upright position!!

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
2/20/17 9:39 a.m.
sirrichardpumpaloaf wrote: Midway to Indy..... I bet you never even got your seat back out of its upright position!!

35 minute flight. Long enough to read an entire Autoweek.

One time I was on a commercial flight circling Midway and they announced we were low on fuel so we flew to Indianapolis, landed, and fueled up and returned to Chicago. That was odd.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
2/25/17 5:14 p.m.

So I take it, that it's a done deal?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
2/26/17 8:56 a.m.

Sorry - it was a busy week getting hoses to my big account.

I left my house at 7:30am - drove to Midway Airport and landed in Indianapolis at 10:15am - 2 hours and 45 minutes and I can drive to Indy in 3 hours. Indianapolis has a great airport. I told the salesman to pick me up in a 'Vette but all he could take is a really nice Camaro.

Ninety minutes at the dealer and I was off - one quick stop in Lafayette for a Chik-fil-A sandwich and a construction picture and I was quickly home with no issues - the truck is a fat slob and overtook the garage. The Accord is cleaned up and for sale and all is good! I can state that Andy Mohr Chevrolet was easy to deal with and the only thing they jammed me on that I missed was a $299 service charge to etch the windows with a phone number recovery crap.

$41,130.00 sticker and it sold for $28,201.10 plus tax and fees.

I ended up buying a truck I didn't want but being part Bohemian I will grow to love it! (I wanted a blue, 2WD, 2017, WT that would be $34,000 plus tax and fees - I can live with getting more truck for less money).

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/26/17 9:06 a.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy:

Nice score, congrats

Silver Ice Metallic too, won't show salt and dirt so much

Now you gotta buy truck accessories

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
2/26/17 12:20 p.m.

I bought the rubber mat at the local dealer. $119.

I bought the 4" black side step tube things on Craigslist for $150. The dealer discounted them to $525 but I passed. I asked the $150 guy if he would take less and he said no - that is a good price. I had to agree with him.

petegossett
petegossett UltimaDork
2/26/17 8:27 p.m.

Are they providing the front license plate mount?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
2/26/17 8:49 p.m.

No. I have to buy, drill, and rivet.

petegossett
petegossett UltimaDork
2/27/17 7:53 a.m.

Still a damn good deal overall.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
2/27/17 10:28 a.m.

Like I said - I bought the truck I didn't want because the price was right.

A true Bohemian I am.

dj06482
dj06482 SuperDork
2/27/17 11:00 a.m.

Nice truck!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
J0YSpxSxT9qKxoEzWn1sJlQdNZX7WaU6ACfB6g24dESPtQaKNzXUsyymNlAUnRnL