1 2
chandler
chandler PowerDork
3/26/19 8:27 a.m.

I can’t believe Chicagoland doesn’t have its own meet up thread. I’m going to be in the area the 4-6th for a convention in Oak Brook. If anyone wants to meet up for drinks or dinner post up here. I know it’s a big area (I lived in Kankakee for ten years) but I’m sure we could find a good spot to meet. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/26/19 9:18 a.m.

Good chance I'd be able to meet one of those days. Where is the convention?

MTechnically
MTechnically New Reader
3/26/19 9:25 a.m.

I'm out west of St. Charles, but I would be interested in meeting up as well. Friday works best for me, but Saturday morning could be doable as well.

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
3/26/19 9:28 a.m.

South-side representing - I could probably make something work. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/26/19 10:45 a.m.

Chandler, assuming that I'm free whenever this meetup happens, I can drive you wherever it ends up happening if you don't have a car--your convention center is likely no more than 10 minutes from me. Although, conveniently for us, Oak Brook is more or less the middle of where Chicagoland GRMr's are, so it is likely we end up near us. 

Some thoughts of places to meet up, around Oak Brook - feel free to suggest places in other locales, everyone

• Indoor Go Karts in Addison https://www.k1speed.com/addison-location.html. No clue about availability
  • Pizza (A billion places)
  • Old Town Pour House in Oak Brook - Fancy Schmancy sports bar. I've heard good things from my BIL, but he's easily impressed...
  • Elmhurst Brewery - new brewery in town. No clue on if it is good or not
  • Beerheads - Bar and restaurant in Elmhurst. Probably similar to the Pour House. 

Also have all the chains (but unless we're talking White Castle, I'm probably not interested), any ethnic food you can think of, dive bars, Portillos, and a few bars/brewerys that we can bring carryout into

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
3/26/19 11:12 a.m.

oh my gosh looks like there is a whirlyball close by. I vote that. 

https://www.whirlyball.com/

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
3/26/19 11:15 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

what you dont like chains? I thought cheesecake factory was literally every single american's favorite restaurant. cheeky

chandler
chandler PowerDork
3/26/19 11:20 a.m.

I’ll have my truck, no big deal. I think the convention is at one of the hotels on the back of the outdoor mall (can’t recall the name). Friday or Saturday are good for me, I usually skip most of the “functions” and just meet people at these things. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/26/19 11:36 a.m.
Robbie said:

oh my gosh looks like there is a whirlyball close by. I vote that. 

https://www.whirlyball.com/

Whirlyball is good too. I'm down

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/26/19 11:51 a.m.

Also, looks like there is an autocross both Saturday and Sunday in Joliet. FYI. Not sure I'm able to go to either day of that though.

MTechnically
MTechnically New Reader
3/26/19 12:20 p.m.

Whirlyball or K1 sound like great options to me. Group size might play a factor for both, in terms of being able to make a reservation. I'd love to go to an autocross, but I don't think my schedule or the condition of my cars are going to allow that to happen.

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
3/26/19 8:17 p.m.
chandler
chandler PowerDork
3/28/19 4:36 p.m.
Cooter said:

Chicagoland does have its own thread.

Didn’t see that, search has never been this forums strong point! 

Ok, looks like due to a work commitment I won’t get in until Friday afternoon. I’d be happy to meet up with whomever for supper Friday or breakfast Saturday; open to f1 cart or whatever. I’m easy! Oops!

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/1/19 9:37 a.m.

Hey all, do we want to start to lock down the date and time, and try to get a headcount? I'd think Friday night would be best. 

Looks like it is 10 people for a reservation at Whirlyball; $250 for an hour. I doubt we'll have 10 people, so it looks like we'd do the walk in option which depends on availability, but is $15 per person for 30 minutes. I've never had an issue getting in within an hour, but I've also never been to the Lombard location. The locals could also possibly bring significant others/other friends to fill in to get a reservation if we really want to reserve--I think we're probably fine without it.

https://www.whirlyball.com/lombard/

FooBag
FooBag Reader
4/1/19 1:25 p.m.

Count me in for future Chicagoland get togethers!  I'm out west, vaguely by DeKalb.

I'll miss out on this one as I'll be in Iowa for a rallycross event.

MTechnically
MTechnically New Reader
4/1/19 2:57 p.m.

Welp, I screwed up. I assumed that the family wedding was on Saturday, as most of them are, but it's actually Friday. Lame. So I guess I'm out for this one.

FooBag said:

Count me in for future Chicagoland get togethers!  I'm out west, vaguely by DeKalb.

I'll miss out on this one as I'll be in Iowa for a rallycross event.

How vaguely near DeKalb are you? I'm 20 miles east of there, west of St. Charles.

FooBag
FooBag Reader
4/1/19 4:53 p.m.
MTechnically said:

How vaguely near DeKalb are you? I'm 20 miles east of there, west of St. Charles.

Genoa, so NW of you it sounds like.

GPz11
GPz11 Reader
4/2/19 7:18 p.m.

Aurora here and Saturday is 24 hours of Lemons at Autobahn

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/3/19 4:43 p.m.

bump

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
4/4/19 7:59 a.m.

I'm in for friday night

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/4/19 12:46 p.m.

What time are we thinking? And Whirlyball, right?

My cell phone, if anyone wants to text tomorrow as we get closer is (ATE-4-7)-TREE63-4O97

chandler
chandler PowerDork
4/4/19 8:09 p.m.

Been busy getting work wrapped up, still in; didn’t have a chance to look at what whirlyball is but I’ll be there. My brother will be with me.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/4/19 8:22 p.m.

What time are we thinking? I’m free basically after 6. Well, make it after 6:15, I’ll stop by the hammer store and Guitar Center since I’ll be out that way. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/4/19 11:36 p.m.

Dammit, I need to pay attention more.

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
4/5/19 9:39 a.m.

So let's say 6:30ish at whirlyball?

I might make a cross-post in the main forum just to make sure people see this. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x2ycBZIAFZuMJWJ1Fd6AhMLJuVVpg6lB5iZ9C0dFQaq2Z1NjpSc3xJKNLfVI4Yvg