1 2 3
Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/20/21 10:02 a.m.

Making a post here because my flight is booked, my bags are pack (not quite), and my planning is in action to fly and drive Bertie the Bomber home. 

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/bertie-the-bomber-1983-x19/182696/page1/

Flying into Dallas Love Field Friday afternoon, buying the car, and then heading out early Saturday morning pointed mostly north. I'll be trying to avoid interstates and keep to the 2 lane roads through AK and MO, lots of national forest area there I'm hoping to drive through. Hoping to catch a meal with Singleslammer iin MO too. 

Any suggestions? Roads, foods, selfie-spots?

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
4/21/21 3:48 p.m.

Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

I'll be trying to avoid interstates and keep to the 2 lane roads through AK and MO, lots of national forest area there I'm hoping to drive through.

I would suggest driving through AR instead of AK.   

It would save you a lot of driving.

gumby
gumby Dork
4/21/21 4:02 p.m.

Wish I was on the route!

nocones
nocones UberDork
4/21/21 4:23 p.m.

If you have issues between StL and Dwight let me know and I can come help.  North of Dwight I'll assume you are within "calling the mother ship" range.

You are very brave.   

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
4/22/21 10:31 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter)
4/23/21 8:45 a.m.

Packed a little tool kit. Keeping in mind what can go in carry on luggage (I hope tsa doesn't throw a fit), and also what possible repairs I'd really be doing on the side of the road.

nocones
nocones UberDork
4/23/21 9:45 a.m.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
4/23/21 1:49 p.m.

Well, made it to the plane. Only TSA casualty was the...

Wait for it...

Ratchet.

Yep. Took the only tool that is needed for the rest of the set to work. Apparently there are no tools allowed longer than 7 inches. I refrained from remarking that I was never going to be able to fly again.

I'm already sick of wearing this double mask.

I do not miss airports.

gumby
gumby Dork
4/23/21 4:09 p.m.

I refrained from remarking that I was never going to be able to fly again.

My immediate thought for rebuttal as well. Probably best not to have a "strip search me every time" flag on your profile anyhow...

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
4/23/21 4:27 p.m.

I would think the tape would be more dangerous as you could tape up the hands of the space waitresses.  

If you get a flat tire on Saturday afternoon don't stop at a bar to use the phone.  Who owns this Fiat with the peace sign, mag wheels, and the 4 on the floor?........

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
4/23/21 5:07 p.m.
gumby said:

I refrained from remarking that I was never going to be able to fly again.

My immediate thought for rebuttal as well. Probably best not to have a "strip search me every time" flag on your profile anyhow...

You gotta admit, the joke has many angles.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
4/23/21 6:06 p.m.

My Uber driver Yuichiro is currently working his white commute spec cx-5. Manually shifting the auto in sport mode, keeping revs high before critical lane changes, attacking all of dallas' highway lanes. I think we've already passed 2 crammits.

He also knows what an X1/9 is and thinks me driving one home to Chicago is an excellent idea. 

I'm really hoping that he secretly drifts the Arkansas mountains at night.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
4/23/21 10:17 p.m.

Made it to the sellers house. Seller (Doug) wasted no time in showing me the car and putting the key in my hand and instructing me to take it for a test drive. I needed to replace my ratchet, and while there was an hf nearby, Doug steered me to the closer walmart where I also wanted to grab some snacks for the ride too.

Who takes a test drive in a fiat to Walmart?

First impression is the car drives excellently. All controls are confident, engine starts immediately, revs and idles well, and the shifter is vauge but all gears are there. I'm very happy with the condition as delivered.

Upon returning from the mart of walls, Doug and I traded paperwork. On the bill of sale I told him I'd like to put separate line items for car, 13x8 three piece wheels, and rally wheels/tires, just in case I ever decided to challenge the car. Doug was unfazed and quickly wrote down (total price $2500 is what I paid):

1. Rally wheels and tires $1500 (apparently he just bought the tires and they cost about that much because 13s, the tires do look brand new)

2. 13x8 3 piece wheels $500

3. Fiat x1/9 $500

I asked him if that was realistic, and he looked at me and said "you do realize you're buying a 40 year old fiat right?"

Doug also had bought a wonderful barbecue dinner, so after exchanging money and signatures we feasted like kings and swapped car stories.

Doug is a great guy, and true car guy. I think he would love the challenge, I'm going to recommend he make the trip some year.

He does rockets (like no joke rockets, bigger than estes solid rocket motors stuff, stuff you have to have a license for), model cars, real cars, tons of cool stuff. Not only did I get to see his car stories, I got to hear about his rocket stuff too. Plus he's got some really cool rc cars and model cars (fiat x1/9s none the less).

Anyway. If you're curious what a fiat x1/9 looks like loaded up for a 1000 mile trip with 12 wheels, 8 tires, a separate windshield chrome strip, and a handful of other loose parts, here you go.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
4/24/21 12:30 a.m.

Good luck!

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/24/21 4:56 a.m.

Have fun and be safe 

gumby
gumby Dork
4/24/21 8:01 a.m.

Good morning, I would like an update on how your travels are going today.

Also, pics of the 3pc wheels, but I'm guessing they are currently buried in the trunk under the rally tires 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
4/24/21 8:15 a.m.

3 hrs in the books. 

Woke just before 5am and slipped out quietly. Hit the road no issues, since I had already stocked at walmart last night. I stopped once about 6 am to check the luggage, and it was still tight. Sun was just starting to show.

Around 6:30 an armadillo ran across the road. We dodged (fiated?) easily. About 7 the sun was coming up and I switched to shades.

This part of texas and oklahoma are absolutely beautiful. Plus I don't think I've ever been to oklahoma before.

Stopped at gasquatch for the first stop, half tank (5 gallons) after 3 hours of driving. This ain't no jag.

Also, here's the wheels under the top that fits in the front compartment even with wheels. Yes, I just took the top off.

gumby
gumby Dork
4/24/21 8:27 a.m.

Yais! Good on you to save room for the targa in the frunk. One if my favorite things about an x1/9, and a strong motivator on the Fauxrrari project. 

But if the roof is off, how is Sasquatch standing on your car??

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) UberDork
4/24/21 12:24 p.m.

So, did you just go around the trunk lid to tie the tires on? 

Amazing what you can do if you're not worried about beating up the body.

Great write-up.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
4/24/21 12:38 p.m.

Stopped for a quick break in the ozark national forest. Pics and more later. Cars running like a top so far, gotta keep moving to keep the drizzle off my head.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
4/24/21 2:11 p.m.

2pm western grove arkansas, 9.3 gallons.

Hasbro (Forum Supporter)
Hasbro (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/24/21 4:37 p.m.

Should be around Saint Louis, give or take by now.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
4/25/21 12:18 a.m.

Made it to singleslammer's house around 8 pm. Enjoyed dinner and beer.

Basically I had to call off the 3rd national forest and take a straighter route. I was going to run out of daylight and I'd prefer not to drive in the dark.

Few key takeaways to expand on later:

1. Everyone wants to talk about this car. Met two prior x1/9 owners, one woman who owned a tr7 and a supercharged mr2, I don't think I got out of the car today without at least one "what is that?" 

2. 3 favorite roads today. I only happened upon 2 because I missed a planned turn. The 3rd was because I stuck to the plan when I shouldn't have.

3. Car stuff. It drives great. Speedo is accurate to a gnats ass, but it is in kph so I have to do math to know how fast I'm going. Tach seems optimistic. Volts gauge threw me for a loop. And i think I only bought 18 gallons of gas today.

4. I drove into the sun during sunrise, and again into the sun at sunset. Wtf?

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
4/25/21 12:20 a.m.
gumby said:

But if the roof is off, how is Sasquatch standing on your car??

That's not Sasquatch. It's gasquatch.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
4/25/21 12:21 a.m.
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) said:

So, did you just go around the trunk lid to tie the tires on? 

Amazing what you can do if you're not worried about beating up the body.

Great write-up.

Yeah. Basically tied straight to the trunk lid. Seller used to bring wheels to events like this a lot. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tiog2EPuO2Zg5IJADpdcSUW5WjLMuRPJTVNkzD6Q6nGsSJ9gVV9rmZNxySGrfDgX