Reaper1
Reaper1 New Reader
3/22/19 11:35 a.m.

OK, I could swear I remember an article or something outlining tips for doing a trip to the 'Ring, but I couldn't find it. I am hoping to be fortunate enough to have to opportunity to knock this off my bucket list this year, but I want to "do it right".

So, anyone have any tips for a trip to the Nurburgring?

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
3/22/19 11:46 a.m.

my wife forwarded an email to me from these guys.......

https://speedsecrets.com/ring-spa-trips-19/

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
3/22/19 11:47 a.m.

Turn up, put your money in the machine to buy a ticket, sold in lap increments for different prices, I got a 4 lap ticket.  Line up, go through the gate and have fun.  It's literally that simple.  There are signs saying you can't take foreign delivery vehicles on the track, but we did that with my four or five  day old Volvo, no one looked twice even though it had a red temporary European license plate on it.

One thing though, make sure you allow an extra day in teh area.  We got there the evening before having checked the track was available in the following afternoon.  The morning was booked for a private group but the afternoon was open to the public.  But almost immediately in the afternoon session there was a crash on the circuit that closed it.  Apparently that's not too uncommon, as you can probably guess from the 'Ring crash ' vids on YouTube. Luckily we could change our plans and stay one more day in the area.  The official website has a list of events and when it's open

Fitz
Fitz New Reader
3/26/19 2:51 p.m.

Speed and skill differentials are pretty vast. Even if you do a track day instead of a tourist day you'll have open track/open passing with stuff ranging from a stock miata to a 911 on slicks sharing the track at the same time.

I rented a car through RSR at Spa during one of their 'premium' track days last year and would recommend them. Car was well prepped and in good shape, and the tires were better than I was brave. They had probably 10-15 staff on site and everyone spoke English. I even got a free instructor for 30 min to help me learn the line. Another guy renting from them had his car replaced because the pads were getting low. Didn't cause any problems, they just did a check when he came off track and gave him a new car. Really wasn't cheap but it was also no drama and exactly what I was after for something in the once a lifetime range.

Friend from college took a car from Avis to the ring. He got a threatening letter when he got back to the US saying he could never rent with them again, no real penalties though. I'd imagine you're on your own if you go that route and have anything happen to their car on track. You also have no idea what condition the thing is in. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
3/26/19 4:19 p.m.

General advice is not to take a regular rental car to the 'ring. Yes, people do it, but the insurance companies tend to come up with all sorts of interesting excuses as to why you're getting stuck with a big bill.

I'd definitely rent a car from one of the outfits that rent prepped cars specifically for 'ring use. The crash compilations on Youtube might also explain why having a caged car might be a really good idea.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
3/26/19 5:11 p.m.

Bavarian pretzels are awesome, Swabian pretzels are crap. White sausage is the local delicacy, take the skin off if you eat it, but my advice is to eat something else. Just, not blood sausage. Local beers are pretty awesome, duh, but wines from nearby are also amazing. Try whites, Germans are good at whites.  Try not to crash at the ring, it generally ends up on YouTube.  Have fun! 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Mod Squad
3/27/19 5:38 a.m.

this is two years old... but I don't think things have changed too much... other than the track surface some...

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
3/27/19 8:43 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve :

White sausage (assuming you mean the Bavarian Weisswurst, not the white sausages masquerading as Bratwurst) is really a Bavarian specialty that's supposed to be consumed with sweet mustard, a pretzel and washed down with a wheat beer or two . They're also a bit of an acquired taste - I happen to like them. I wouldn't eat them anywhere near the Nürburgring, that's pretty far from Bavaria.

Re wines - there are some good ones (both red and white) but you might want to look around a bit as especially the stuff at the more budget end is still pretty variable quality. No doubt it's improved a lot over the last couple of decades, though, with a lot of younger vintners coming up with really nice wines. The more "classic" stuff can still be overly sweet and probably better used as an anti-freeze additive for windshield washer fluid.

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
3/27/19 8:51 a.m.

The ring is a fantastic time.  Beware as the course is long and complex enough I could not keep track of what was coming next.

Make time to find good Turkish food.  It is amazing and i haven't found it anywhere in the US of the same quality.  I highly recommend the Donner Kebab. 

Also find Apfelwein - it's delicious and truly unique.

Reaper1
Reaper1 New Reader
3/29/19 9:51 a.m.

Guess I should have prefaced that I'm visiting family there. I lived in Germany from 1990-1994, but I was too young to enjoy adult things. Finally getting a chance to go back and get a more "rounded" experience! LOL

So anyway, my original idea was to try and get a ride in a 'Ring Taxi first, then rent a car from one of the above mentioned places for specifically that. I won't have the sackular fortitude to truly push my skills on the 'Ring...I'm not that good and I don't need a hard lesson to understand that. I just want to be able to say "I drove it!"

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
3/29/19 4:54 p.m.

I was in the same place.  I had made it over two prior times and the track was closed for refurbishing it had terrible weather.  Finally ended up running it on a life 35deg on winter tires in an Audi A6 turbo diesel.  Fun - not quite a track monster.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
whm6t7nxu04JDdGuvUiN3xlP98aenEZLWfY7otfUvn9gAsKTPxiC9361DoBRalBR