slantsix
slantsix Reader
9/22/20 12:24 p.m.

Proposed Route:  VIEW IN GOOGLE MAPS 

Will be avoiding most interstates. - AutoX in Salem VA once I arrive.

I might get the fill of mountain roads without going to the tail or back of the dragon on this one.  Good thing I am not towing or taking  truck!

Greg

Pattyo
Pattyo Reader
9/27/20 3:59 p.m.

How'd it go?

slantsix
slantsix Reader
9/29/20 12:44 p.m.
Pattyo said:

How'd it go?

Well it's Quite a story, thanks for asking..  When I get some more keybard sit down time  I will post up some info.

Greg

ScottyB
ScottyB Reader
9/29/20 1:33 p.m.
slantsix said:
Pattyo said:

How'd it go?

Well it's Quite a story, thanks for asking..  When I get some more keybard sit down time  I will post up some info.

Greg

looking forward to it.  love driving through WV, amazing roads.  250 is a gem.  hope you enjoyed your time in Salem/Roanoke, that's "home" for me even though i live in GA.

slantsix
slantsix Reader
9/29/20 6:57 p.m.

Well I wanted to take the Route to the Roanoake / Salem / Blacksbug Area as posted above.

I get to the car after work on Friday and it's time to depart.

Crankety-crankety-crankety-crankety-crankety-crankety-crankety.... No start.

This happened to me earlier in the week as well. I had just been in the carb creating some baffling.. so I thought it was float / carb / fuel issues. Then I found a spark issue.

I chose to walk 6 miles home from work and got the trailer and tow vehicle... winched it up on there, and brought it home to diagnose in the garage.

Turns out that the old MoPars have a separate coil power feed for start and run....  Well it was getting power in run mode, but the firewall bulkhead was intermittently disconnecting (weak spot on old Mopars)  and the engine would not get fire in start mode with the key.

Once I got that figured out I was 7-8 Hours behind schedule..

I left about 6:30 PM here and arrived in Blacksburg, VA about 23:23; I had to take the interstates due to all of the maladies of the car not starting eariler in the day.  :-(

I had arrived in enough time to get settled in and some sleep before the ~40 Minute drive in the morning  to the Salem Civic center for the Auto X.

We completed the auto X, 3 Slant 6 Powered cars were there to represent.. There were some pretty skookum corvairs too! Car was okay, but still had Fueling issues with the carb. - That's another story..My Mod's to the carb Made no difference.. so the next AutoX for me will be with a different fuel delivery and intake system.

Here's the Auto X:

Blue Ridge Mountains served up a nice backdrop:

The next day wer were off to Marion, VA for the back of the Dragon, Heading North on VA SR16.

Lots of fog early:

Then we Hit the tail of the Dragon!... Prepped my belongings for a proper mountain route flogging:

had a bit of traffic once..was the only safe place / time to take a photo like this.

Pulled off for some glamour shots a few times...

We found the awesome valley ledge whe the BOTD.com paparazzi set up..

Fog kept rolling over this hillside like a velvety blanket from the heavens.

This ribbon of road is nice! - Only ~8 Miles to Tazewell from here.

We made it! Time fo lunch, then we depart ways for home.

I took WV route 20 For a While... From Princeton WV. I need to explore more of that route.

WV 20:

All in all a great weekend, but due to the mechanical / electrical maladies at the start I drove more interstates than I preferred to.

Greg

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/30/20 8:42 a.m.

I...um...yeah...WOW!

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
9/30/20 9:02 a.m.

What exactly  is the red car on Enkie's with the black hood that was off in the parking area?  The front end sheet metal looks like your Dart's but the top & C-pilar doesn't seem right. 

Seems like a cool even.  Hope you can get mechanical issues all worked out.

ScottyB
ScottyB Reader
9/30/20 9:14 a.m.

beautiful.  at the end of the day you still got to drive 16 which is the best of all the roads and still managed to auto-x!  i'd call that a win.

i love driving those river valleys in WV.  always so beautiful and the roads are usually in nice condition.

slantsix
slantsix Reader
9/30/20 3:27 p.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

That is My buddy Lou's car.

It's a 65? I think valiant with 63-4 dart fenders, hood and 65 Dart front valence.

We call it the Vart.

Greg

slantsix
slantsix Reader
6/15/21 11:08 a.m.

Okay ready to try this again..

Going to take WV 20 south from I 79 to I 64. Hop on I 64 for a few miles then hit va/ wv 311 from I 64 over to about Catabwa or Salem VA.  Drag Racing 1/8 Mile as well.

Updates forthcoming.

Greg

slantsix
slantsix Reader
6/21/21 8:59 a.m.

Success.

It all went right this go round. I must confess I did put wheels on some interstates.. not for long, as the majority of miles were on Mountain US and State Routes in WV, VA, SC, MD, And PA.

Started out about 700 miles on the GPS  - So ~1000 Miles for the weekend.

Daybreak on WV 20 in Webster Springs WV..

The Blue Hour Along WV 20:

More WV 20:

After a Quick Interstate Jaunt..

On WV/VA 311 After Crows VA:

More VA 311:

I hope to be able to tackle this one a bit faster that 15...

On the Way Home: - US Route 33 through VA and WV is sure a gem above the Shenandoah Valley Heading West!

First Time I have been on WV 33 and I am sure I will be back for more.

On 219 Near Deep Creek  / Oakland / McHenry MD..

Near the 219 / US 40 Junction in Maryland - You can See I 68 in the upper Right.

Fuel Stop on US 40 - heading home

US 40 in the PA highlands was quite busy on a sunny sunday afternoon.

PA Route 711 Above Connellsville:

I had tons of fun exploring the new routes!

Greg

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/21/21 10:10 a.m.

Looks awesome!

slantsix
slantsix Reader
6/25/21 12:03 p.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks, I plan on another one of these  next month, out to Carlisle PA for a Show weekend and then an AutoX on the way back .  Not quite as epic as your planned trip....but  could possibly blend into traffic better than a Guards Red 911.smiley

Greg

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FEB7d5LO6wUe9J8EkGWX2TQFIgiNKpVd3yaI4QXsds9ygvCXIYxDKg53tmavIMMd