1 2 3 4
TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project Reader
6/10/19 4:29 p.m.

It's hitting me that tomorrow I am driving 4+ hours in my RX7... my legs are going to be stiffer than Pinocchio's nose after running for Congress.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
6/10/19 4:52 p.m.

In reply to TheRX7Project :

Will you be at the Indy Stop?  If so, let's meet up.  I'd like to check out your RX-7

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project Reader
6/10/19 5:26 p.m.

Yes, I will be there. I'm hoping to hit the dyno so I'll probably be around there. I'm sure there won't be too many black RX7s with a gold air dam... you bringing anything interesting?

Zeitgeist
Zeitgeist Reader
6/11/19 8:08 p.m.

Well I made it through the first day of the HRPT.  I got registered and in smoothly. Took some pics and walked around then headed to the autocross.  A G8 hit the wall so we were delayed and backed up for awhile but I took a couple runs for fun.  Ran a 30.4 and a 29.3 which was decent but Danny Popp was there in his C5 and he ran a 25. On his first run so it put my time in perspective.  

I headed to the dyno next. I heard several guys that had their cars on say it was conservative so I lowered my expectations.  The previous owner never had it dynoed and the guy who built the engine said he thought it would be around 450.  I made 2 pulls.  The second was 468WHP so I was pleasantly surprised. 

I talked with a bunch of people and took a lot of pics.  I'll share once I figure out how to download them.  New camera and card reader only has full size USB and I only have a tablet. Great weather so far.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
6/11/19 9:13 p.m.

Cool. I'll try to hook up with you there. I'll be bringing my Black Jag XJR. Not sure how interesting it is though.

Link to build thread.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
6/11/19 9:13 p.m.

In reply to Zeitgeist :

Solid number !

And this thread needs pictures. I'll see if I can get some tomorrow.

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
6/11/19 10:31 p.m.

We got to the track after 2:00pm so we missed the morning session.  Did they change the course?  I can't see how anyone could have hit the wall on the course.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
6/12/19 2:54 a.m.
Indy-Guy said:

Yes, more pictures would be nice... to get a “feel” for the event

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
6/12/19 12:12 p.m.

We've arrived.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
6/12/19 1:43 p.m.

Anyone going to be at Norwalk?  I am thinking of taking the day off and heading up.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
6/12/19 2:06 p.m.

We bumped into wawazat and his dad. Great guys!

And here's some pics.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
6/12/19 4:37 p.m.

I was able to get down the track!!!!

My first ever drag pass!

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
6/12/19 6:04 p.m.

Thanks!  It was very nice meeting you and your kids today too!  I looked up and saw the GRM shirt then recognized you and Annie from the Jag thread.  Pure luck on bumping in to you today but I’m glad we did!  

I forgot my card reader for my computer but will post the pics I took after we get home.  Send me your email address and I’ll get you all that I took today. 

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
6/12/19 6:08 p.m.
sleepyhead the buffalo said:
Indy-Guy said:

Yes, more pictures would be nice... to get a “feel” for the event

Scale is YUGE!  Impossible to capture in a single photo because the cars take up MASSIVE portions of multiple lots at YUGE venues.  I’m thinking 2500-3000 participant cars at each location. We have been at Charlotte Motor Speedway, Martinsville Raceway, Bristol Raceway, Kentucky Motor Speedway and Lucas Oil Raceway.  

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
6/12/19 6:13 p.m.
Aaron_King said:

Anyone going to be at Norwalk?  I am thinking of taking the day off and heading up.

My dad and I are doing the whole thing (aka Long Haulers) so we will be at Norwalk this Friday.  We’re getting our cards punched checking out some things then heading home.  While the Yukon (Plan B) has proven to be an amazingly comfortable and competent vehicle on this trip we’re looking forward to getting home and climbing out of it. We turned over 1600 miles today and have two stops and a drive home left to go. Norwalk to Detroit is pretty short drive home. 

Zeitgeist
Zeitgeist Reader
6/12/19 7:05 p.m.
Indy-Guy said:

Cool. I'll try to hook up with you there. I'll be bringing my Black Jag XJR. Not sure how interesting it is though.

Link to build thread.

Crap I walked right by you today.  I'll look for it at ft wayne

Zeitgeist
Zeitgeist Reader
6/12/19 7:12 p.m.

Another great day.  Good weather and nice people.  I ran the strip twice. First time in almost 30 years. I suck. I ran a 12.40 at 119 and a 12.39 also at 119 so the car has time in it with the right driver. It was pretty slick since they didn't prep it. I had to much wheelspin and some wheel hop so I called it after 2 runs. 

Saw plenty of cars I didn't see already so still not feeling like it was a repeat show.  Had a good trip up with a couple different groups. 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
6/12/19 7:26 p.m.

In reply to wawazat :

Cool.  I am planning on taking the day off and heading up with two kids in tow.

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
6/12/19 9:25 p.m.

Gates open at noon Friday and open drag racing scheduled from 12:00pm until 4:00pm.  Show closes at 7:00pm.

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled Reader
6/12/19 10:13 p.m.

Weather doesn't look great but SWMBO seems to be game for walking thru a rain soaked parking lot tomorrow so we are planning to drive out to ft Wayne in the morning.  

If we leave in time I hope to stop somewhere around van wert and watch the parade of cars drive past.  Probably won't happen if the rain keeps up.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/13/19 4:00 a.m.

In reply to Dead_Sled :

I think the official route has cars leaving Ft. Wayne and heading north to Cord Auburn Museum in Auburn, In.  From there the official route come into Ohio on Rt6 to Fremont, OH then Rt20 into Norwalk. 

I'm not sure that Van Wert will get many cars. 

Link includes routes and show times

For those not wishing to Parade/Tour, the quick interstate route would be... 

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled Reader
6/13/19 7:27 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Van wert probably wont get any cars tomorrow laugh but today's route from Indy to ft Wayne has them picking up rt 30 in Van wert and taking it into ft Wayne.  

Rain is showing 2pm now, trying to get SWMBO moving so we can get out of here.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/13/19 8:01 a.m.

In reply to Dead_Sled :

Well I'll be...

I had not looked at the route from Indy to Ft Wayne.  I would not have guessed that an Indiana to Indiana route would include going through some much of Ohio. devil

This route is going to take you very close to the Aussie Steve's, Ohio/Australian Embassy, the Compound on the Curve!  

Or, the direct route:

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled Reader
6/13/19 3:24 p.m.

Just leaving Walmart after buying cheap but dry shoes.  I reminded SWMBO to bring sandals and then left mine at home.  it's 52 and blowing rain so not a ton of cars hanging out.  We brought ponchos but our feet, legs, and arms are soaked.  Cars seem to be cruising the area so we've been driving around warming up.  Headed to guacamoles for some Mexican soon.

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled Reader
6/13/19 3:39 p.m.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LkHeqXXkHPaRfqtazSCmOGeY1o4T4ijE38LKjhk74XoUWNYmh4J5JJ5L47gLC9Ee