Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
5/15/17 6:25 p.m.

At the Great Lakes Racing Expo I put in $10 or $20 for raffle tickets for charity, didn't even pay attention to the prize. Turns out it was an Arrive and Drive experience at an outdoor go kart track from Adrenaline Fix Karting, and it turns out that I won.

Got there at 10am, had the kart and track until 6pm. Jim gave me some instruction and explained how these things work. Solid axle, no front brakes... Trail braking was discouraged, and it took two spins to finally get that almost in my head and out of my reflexes.

The big orange X says there's a total noob in your way. I was hoping for a sign that said SORRY! No mirrors, can't really hear them behind you. All of a sudden occasionally ZOOM one scoots around me. The 2 stroke guys were a bit louder (hornets stuck in a coffee can) and just as I thought I'd hear one ZOOM. (Yes there was a lot of passing me going on. They put me out with guys practicing for a big race the next day.)

I got 4 sessions in before the brakes locked up, 1/2 way thru a lap I realized power was down, tried to pit and just inside the pit lane it stopped and wouldn't budge. He got it fixed but now there was an hour break to set up for kiddie karts (4-5yr olds), then at least 30-40min before my group. With 1.5hr drive home and being almost 330pm I bid him adieu. I was far from displeased...

The next morning holy berkeley my shoulders and upper arms hurt. There is nothing to brace with those G forces besides death grip the wheel. 40+ very long laps and I was a hurtin'. (I'd totally do it again though)

Woody
Woody MegaDork
5/15/17 9:47 p.m.

Karting is a blast, but it beats the E36 M3 out of you.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
5/16/17 8:10 a.m.

In reply to Woody:

Indeed. I'll stick to real cars.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
5/16/17 8:51 a.m.

How much would you need to spend to get a real car that's quick on the straights and as fast through the corners as a TAG kart?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ooPeekQVwoIyFhkboxlLKvxDHAPy44ZBLXcbIjQkOWihFyvUtdR8GBgjz3LBX0EL