artur1808
artur1808 HalfDork
9/2/20 7:36 a.m.

Planning on taking a road trip out to Colorado in the vanbulance in a few weeks. I've intentionally left the itinerary open up to this point, but as I now begin some planning, I'd love to get some recommendations from anyone that's from the area or has spent some time in the rockies. 

I'll be out there September 12th to the 18th. Looking to do a bunch of hiking and generally enjoying the views. That said, the sorts of recommendations I'm most interested in would be:

-Day hikes

-Natural hot springs to relax in (ideally free)

-Lakes to swim in/relax near

-Scenic drives

-Reasonably easy mountains to summit. I'd really like to be able to say I did a 14er, but I'm more interested in going somewhere that's especially scenic than I am with saying I summited a particular mountain. 

zordak
zordak Reader
9/2/20 9:25 a.m.

Try the Glenwood springs area.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/2/20 11:27 a.m.

Sand Dunes National Park in Alamosa.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
9/2/20 11:33 a.m.

Pagosa Springs is a must see but it isn't free. 

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
9/2/20 11:38 a.m.

If you can stay till October you can do the Glenwood Springs Rally...

https://mgcc.org/rallye-glenwood-springs/

swintyulna
swintyulna New Reader
9/30/20 1:14 a.m.

When exactly will the Glenwood Springs rally start? Thank you!

Go to Durango, and do day trips all around (Mesa Verde, Animas trail, Telluride, any of the 10Ks in the area). Drive the Million dollar highway north at least to Ouray. From there, Breckenridge, Aspen, Steamboat Springs, Glenwood, etc. Really, you can't go wrong West of the Divide.

jfryjfry (Forum Supporter)
jfryjfry (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/4/20 8:54 a.m.

If you go to ouray look up the hotel that was a hospital that has a hot springs underground. 

super cool place to stay

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/4/20 9:02 a.m.
jfryjfry (Forum Supporter) said:

If you go to ouray look up the hotel that was a hospital that has a hot springs underground. 

super cool place to stay

The Weisbaden.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OzdqxJ9ZtFjDKATZBCN2VfLUzf045SCv9i8tqczRebZchXUAlfd2KvlqgE8Udbw2