1 2
Osterkraut
Osterkraut UberDork
3/22/17 12:01 p.m.

What do you do when a stranger from the internets buys a non-running car in your town and then suggests you drive it to him?

You get the thing running and go!

The running part was easy. Turns out if you let a Miata sit for two years, all it needs is a new battery and some air in the tires...

Snug in my garage awaiting some minor maintenance:

Safety first!

I'm debating not washing it so it's new owner can bask in its "barn find" glory, but frankly I can barely see out the back glass...

The plan:

Overnight in Nashville (thanks, red_stapler!), do the Dragon, overnight in ATL, home stretch.

If you're in ATL (or not too far) and have a couch, shoot me a message.

See you tomorrow.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
3/22/17 12:10 p.m.

Neat! Did a fellow GRMer buy the car?

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
3/22/17 12:57 p.m.

I think you're the first to post a drive-n-fly! Or do you have something to drag back home?

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
3/22/17 1:09 p.m.

This should be a fun time. T25Torx, if you're out there, did we still want to meet up for dinner?

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UberDork
3/22/17 1:59 p.m.
RossD wrote: Neat! Did a fellow GRMer buy the car?

Indeed. Maybe glueguy himself will pop in!

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
3/22/17 2:47 p.m.

I'm in Warner Robins, on your route about 90 miles south of Atlanta, just south of Macon. I could probably offer a spare bed depending on your travel dates.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UberDork
3/22/17 3:51 p.m.
ultraclyde wrote: I'm in Warner Robins, on your route about 90 miles south of Atlanta, just south of Macon. I could probably offer a spare bed depending on your travel dates.

I'll be on that leg the 24th. Let me know!

glueguy
glueguy HalfDork
3/22/17 8:10 p.m.

Yep it was me. The back story is that my wife had a friend that lived in FL. They moved to TX and then Omaha. While in TX the husband, who was an avid triathlete, was hit while training on his bike. After lots of rehab, he never felt comfortable in the open Miata, so the car sat. They relocated to Omaha, and the car got transported, parked in their heated garage, and never touched for more than 2 years. One day a Facebook post by SWMBO led to a message asking if we knew anyone that wanted a Miata. OK, why don't you just ask a junkie if he knows anyone that wants a little heroin? 88k miles, new top, clean and serviced, for not much over challenge money. Um, ok, done.

And then the story would turn weird by anyone's standards other than this group. I put out a request for someone in Omaha to do recon for me so that I could figure out what would be needed before I contacted a transport company. Osterkraut stepped up, I remote ordered a battery online to the Advance closest to his home, he went and met up with our friends (PS - she said you and Mrs Osterkraut are a very cute couple) and got it running. Then came the inevitable - thank you, I'll arrange transportion - wait, do you want to drive it? - sure stop by The Dragon on the way I don't mind - bring it down and we'll fly you back home.

Got the title, mailed the plate and here we are. I can't wait to watch this thread for the delivery adventure!

glueguy
glueguy HalfDork
3/22/17 9:31 p.m.
ultraclyde wrote: I'm in Warner Robins, on your route about 90 miles south of Atlanta, just south of Macon. I could probably offer a spare bed depending on your travel dates.

Warner Robins would make a great stopping point. You'll probably miss on the time, but there is a great BBQ place right at across the street from the main gate and the AFB.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
3/22/17 9:36 p.m.

I'd say swing by Gainesville and do some car stuff but I am quite boring with car stuff lately. Dyinto is car stuffing a Miata so that could be fun if you have the time. LMK if you decide to come through.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UberDork
3/23/17 9:17 a.m.
MrJoshua wrote: I'd say swing by Gainesville and do some car stuff but I am quite boring with car stuff lately. Dyinto is car stuffing a Miata so that could be fun if you have the time. LMK if you decide to come through.

I'm trying to stop by the ol stomping grounds. I hear Burrito Bros is gone...

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UberDork
3/23/17 9:20 a.m.

Day one.

My relevant companion:

Rocinante awaits:

Woooooo lordy, that's a stretch...

One down!

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
3/23/17 11:00 a.m.
Osterkraut wrote:
I'll be on that leg the 24th. Let me know!

Dude, I'm not going to be around Friday night! Sorry, man I would loved to have shown you the town. I was kind of thinking you'd come through Saturday evening for some reason...

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
3/23/17 11:12 a.m.

That car is the twin to my old 01. Had to do a double take.

If you come near Charlotte NC, let me know. Me and the boys will buy you a beer.

hobiercr
hobiercr Dork
3/23/17 1:21 p.m.

For Atlanta try Les (fastasleep). Maybe he'll even show you some of his crazy projects.

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
3/23/17 6:03 p.m.

How goes the trip?

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UberDork
3/23/17 6:24 p.m.
red_stapler wrote: How goes the trip?

Spoiler:

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
3/23/17 6:29 p.m.

I have never seen the welcome to Tennessee sign on the western side of the state. Someday....

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UberDork
3/23/17 10:23 p.m.

Alright, valant readers, let's catch up:

Drove by a boneyard I've driven by a few times before. Finally stopped to get a picture:

Didn't venture much further in, on a schedule and not much of a trespasser...

Oh hey, I've never seen that from the ground before!

Next state, couldn't stop (for obvious reasons).

And the next. So much for my plan to stop at each sign...

Coolest part of the trip? I ran into this guy in Iowa:

And while I was stretching in the Welcome to Tennessee rest stop, I saw him zip by! Naturally, I had to catch up.

I'm sure he didn't realize we had just done the same journey. Godspeed, Prowler guy. Cool car.

Red_stapler was nice enough to provide a garage and bed for the night, and half a quart of Syncromesh, as I think the tailshaft may be leaking a little.

And yes, he does have a red stapler.

GTXVette
GTXVette HalfDork
3/24/17 4:14 a.m.

Dude, I live where 515 becomes 575 just s. of Ellijay, were poor and old but If that isn't a bother the wife is a good Cook. Les is 15 miles south of me on the same road. His Facilitys are top notch but if you don't hear from him you can crash here. John 678 650 1299, Must Love Dogs. you just do not want to go much Farther Between 4and 7 pm after that it's about 150 miles to warner robbins and Fla. is just a Hop and skip away after that.( the ride from Woodstock to Mcdonough is brutal) even with out traffic lots of construction right now as in Endless,or hang up here till traffic eases up then go Burger hunting in the ATL.

glueguy
glueguy HalfDork
3/24/17 5:06 a.m.

I hope Rocinante is a trusty and noble companion in your quest to slay the Dragon today.

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
3/24/17 10:09 a.m.
Osterkraut wrote: And while I was stretching in the Welcome to Tennessee rest stop, I saw him zip by! Naturally, I had to catch up. I'm sure he didn't realize we had just done the same journey. Godspeed, Prowler guy. Cool car.

Inca Gold! They only painted them that color in 2002.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UberDork
3/24/17 12:10 p.m.

So, funny story... Forgot to video the Dragon run. Here's a cellphone picture as consolation.

GTXVette
GTXVette HalfDork
3/24/17 3:32 p.m.

Man I love this Neck of the woods

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UberDork
3/24/17 4:29 p.m.

Well I am moron. GTXVette and fastasleep live north of Atlanta. I am now in Atlanta. For some reason I was thinking the Covington area.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vRCRsCjUpM9oaGmygoo8YvTTkuqjsQtd0mhy5wxQNjAWY94Wm6KfGkKYbIPoFsrM