1 2 3
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/25/20 5:48 a.m.

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

If you're not in a big rush & want to take a detour for the beach, take Highway-90 from Biloxi to at least Gulfport(or to Bay Saint Louis, if you want to see all of it). It'll add about 45-minutes to your trip, but you'll get the full view of our Redneck Riviera. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
10/25/20 10:58 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

Unfortunately I am in a bit of a rush. We're in Biloxi now for fuel, but we're going up through Shreveport and I want to get well into Texas tonight. 

New states:

Colorado (never been)

Kansas (never been) 

Missouri (never been)

Illinois (never been)

Indiana (never been)

Kentucky (never been)

Tennessee (never been)

North Carolina (never been)

Georgia (visited, never driven)

Florida (visited, never driven)

Alabama (never been)

Mississippi (never been)

This is fun. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
10/25/20 3:10 p.m.

Stopped in Bunkie, LA for gas. We saw some of what I'd describe as "Deep South" on the way. Also swampland. Also some kind of big white cranes, we don't have birds like that in the desert. Dinner in Shreveport I think, then as far into Texas as we can manage tonight. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
10/26/20 9:49 a.m.

We stopped for the night at a rest stop about an hour west of Fort Worth. Slept in the car because cold and rainy. Gas stop in sweetwater, where the forecast is calling for snow this afternoon. It's been raining since Louisiana and no sign of stopping. Pretty different from Florida. Onward. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
10/26/20 7:59 p.m.

It's been storming nonstop since Shreveport. First rain, then freezing rain, then snow. We're stuck, just past Albuquerque. So far, 4 vehicles have spun, and two rolled. Not having a good time. Hoping the best for everyone out tonight. 

gumby (Forum Supporter)
gumby (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
10/26/20 8:02 p.m.

Ugh, sorry to hear it! Be safe.

wae
wae UberDork
10/26/20 8:03 p.m.

That doesn't look pleasant at all.  I sure hope you packed a bunch of blankets!

barefootskater (Shaun)
10/26/20 8:10 p.m.

I think we've got plenty to stay warm. I wasn't planning to stay in the car tonight though, so no food. We've been stopped for nearly half an hour. Sign said 60 miles to next town. 
More from earlier:

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
10/26/20 8:14 p.m.

It has been a long time since I have had ice on my vehicle. I miss snow sometimes, but I've never missed ice.  No envy for your roadtrip now!

Drive safe.

03Panther
03Panther Dork
10/26/20 10:20 p.m.

The wheel picture looks awesome!

I was about to ask if y'all were camping out tonight, to be funny... Then I read that y'all were stuck in the car for now, so I guess it ain't very funny. Stay warm, and be safe. Remember, road trips are fun. Repeat as necessary. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
10/26/20 11:36 p.m.

This is two nights in a row, which isn't ideal. It is stinky. But I pack heavy. We have good sleeping bags and several blankets and I even have my pillow! And we filled up a few miles back and the heater works like a champ if we need it. I don't think we will. In an hour it looks like we'll have a nice little igloo going on. There are several other cars outside this station tonight doing what we're doing apparently. This storm is as bad as I've ever seen. Never expected it in NM. Especially in October. Odd. 

03Panther
03Panther Dork
10/26/20 11:42 p.m.

My wife and I found that parking at the pump - under the awning - worked good. Tires did not freeze to the ground, and snow and ice didn't build up where ya couldn't get a running start at it!

barefootskater (Shaun)
10/26/20 11:45 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

This particular station is locked. Has a gated entrance and it's all shut down. Kind of odd, but it is what it is. 

03Panther
03Panther Dork
10/26/20 11:50 p.m.

I guess to keep folks like us from camping out!

Be safe.

barefootskater (Shaun)
10/27/20 8:44 a.m.

I was trying to be safe. Going slow, flashers on. Almost made it to Gallup NM. Almost. Well, I did make it, just in an ambulance. That was a new experience. 

The Mudstain is dead. At least it got to make a heroic last few miles. 

I am ok. Dad is totally unharmed. Wife and mom are on their way to get us. Not the ending I envisioned for this trip, but hardly boring. 
I'll give a better write up once I get out of the er. 

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
10/27/20 8:46 a.m.

Wow! That went sideways! Hope things go better.

barefootskater (Shaun)
10/27/20 8:50 a.m.

In reply to NOT A TA :

Sideways, backwards, sideways again (the other side) then into a ditch. I don't want to ever do that again. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/27/20 9:01 a.m.

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

Holy crap! Glad you guys survived!!!

wae
wae UberDork
10/27/20 9:03 a.m.

Oh no!  I'm sorry to hear that - you okay?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
10/27/20 9:39 a.m.

Ambulance rides are never fun, hope you're ok.

How dead is dead for the 'stang?

barefootskater (Shaun)
10/27/20 9:41 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

Me too. By rights it should have been way worse. 

Asa, the ford is dead. Deader than Henry. The trip and racing was a good send off though. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
10/27/20 10:40 a.m.

Aww man...  that sucks so much

:(

APEowner
APEowner Dork
10/27/20 1:50 p.m.

That sucks! I'm in Albuquerque if there's anything I can do to help.

Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) MegaDork
10/27/20 6:51 p.m.

Sorry to hear this, it's not the ending I wanted to hear for this story.

barefootskater (Shaun)
10/27/20 7:42 p.m.

Story isn't over yet, but it soon will be. We are in a Buick with warranty and air bags. On dry sunny roads. 
Home tonight. About 4 hours to go. Looking forward to seeing my kids. Looking forward to my bed. Looking forward to sunny skies and dirt. 

My only regret, and that isn't the right word. Maybe disappointment. Anyway. Is that the mustang didn't complete the journey. Everyone I know was questioning my choice. "You're driving that thing? To Florida? You're nuts." But it never skipped a beat. It burned a bit of oil, and if I'm honest, it developed a couple new squeaks and noises. But I wanted to say I drove that thing 5000 miles in two weeks. Around the country. I drove it to Florida, beat on it at a racetrack, then turned around and drive it home. And it would have. And I'd have brought it back for 2021 or 2022. Without hesitation. But I suppose it is time to figure out the next adventure. Sooner than I wanted, but that's ok. Trying to accept what life throws my way. Getting better at it. 

Stay safe out there. Keep an eye out. But while you do that, get out and see new places. Travel across the country to place dead last in a race. Go visit that family you never see. Visit old friends. Buy funny hot sauces in Louisiana. Spend too much on bad food. Meet people. If I can do it, on my wages, and in 2020, so can you. I promise you'll learn new things about yourself. And I promise you'll have a new appreciation for wherever you call home.  

I'll put any more updates on injuries and new cars in my other thread.  

Thanks for following along. Thanks for letting me share. Thanks for sharing with me. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xMqKUG5SYhE1yb0E6hA60GsqaaCjougjmN85NiXG85qryHP7JnPFXoAYzTgvk3Pj