BmoreKeith
BmoreKeith New Reader
1/29/20 11:36 a.m.

Hi All,

I want to do some hiking out west, with my dog.  I'm interested in hearing opinions about places to see, places to avoid, places to stay, things to do, etc.  I'm tentatively thinking about staying in some place near Taos, NM before moseying up to the Loveland, CO area.  Taos seems appealing because of the mix between high desert and some alpine scenary.  Really the whole point of the trip is to hike with my dog in the desert.  Taos is also not far from Santa Fe and Los Alamos.  I'm not sold on Loveland.  I'd just like some place that's near Rocky Mountain National Park.  It seems more expensive to stay at a place in Boulder or Fort Collins.

Also interested in hearing about stops I should make along the way.  It's about 29 hours out and 25 hours back.  I'm going to need to make a few stops along the way to calm an antsy dog.

Thanks in advance.

Keith

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa Reader
1/29/20 12:25 p.m.

If you want to get there, interstate.  If you want to see interesting places and stop and look at stuff then you're going to want highways.

After some military training Dad and I drove from Port Hueneme, Ca to Tallahassee, Fl a couple years back.  I drove out there alone and just took interstates, saw nothing.  Dad flew out and was the navigator.  We went 1500 miles out of the way, drove the Loneliest Road in America, saw the Grand Canyon, and all sorts of other awesome stuff.  Only time we were on interstates was from Louisiana to Florida.

BmoreKeith
BmoreKeith New Reader
1/29/20 3:30 p.m.

It's mainly going to be interstates.  This is going to be a lot of driving and I'll be the sole driver.  My dog's cataracts are a little too bad for me to let him drive.

I was hoping for maybe only a 20 mile jaunt off interstates, to see things along the way - and that's mainly just to stretch our legs.

Once we get there though, it's a different story.  I'm open to hearing about things that are off the beaten path.

crewperson
crewperson Reader
2/3/20 8:30 p.m.

When we were in rocky mountain national park dogs weren't allowed to hike on the trails. Something to keep in mind wherever you go.

speedmust
speedmust New Reader
5/25/20 10:51 p.m.

Now that there is a virus It's been a while since I walked him to a crowded place but we do hike now. I think now is not the best time to go on a road trip but just to release his energy I bought a back divider [link removed by moderator] and been putting him at the back and we would ride just here in our neighbor. Wishing we could freely go on a road trip this year without worrying about contracting the virus. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ju8OhZm1Mqd4rDYssggd78WAOMqurkmywsL9BllKw5Dd7JPs0L8UnviQYetZF3zT