bigfranks84
bigfranks84 New Reader
2/25/18 6:20 p.m.

Wife and I are heading to the San Francisco area on Friday. We have a friend that is having surgery there. So we are going to help him out after surgery, my wife is an RN.

We will be out from Kerrville on Friday. Planning on stopping in La Cruces for the first night. While there we are going stop and see the New Mexico Farm and Ranch museum. And then hit up Pie Town after that no real plans. 

We don't have a lot planned. We have to be in San Francisco by Monday @ 5pm. And we are planning on going up hwy 1 once we get over to it. 

Any recommendations on things to stop and see on the way?

BoxheadCougarTim
BoxheadCougarTim MegaDork
2/25/18 6:27 p.m.

Hwy 1 is still closed for through traffic in/near Big Sur IIRC, so if you were planning to drive it up from further South, you can't get through.

Also, you're kinda sorta driving right past the Grand Canyon...

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 New Reader
2/26/18 10:07 p.m.

Thanks, I forgot about the hwy 1 closures. 

We were going to try and go to the Grand Canyon but it is a bit out of the way. And by the time we got there we wouldn't actually have any real time to spend there. And I want to be able to spend days there not a couple hours. 

BoxheadCougarTim
BoxheadCougarTim MegaDork
2/28/18 2:39 p.m.

I think Grand Canyon either needs several days if you want to hike down, or a few hours if you don't. We made the detour there on our last cross-country trip and while we were only at the South Rim for a couple of hours, I still think it was worth it.

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 New Reader
3/7/18 6:17 p.m.

We were able to get going a little earlier on Friday. So we were able to stop at the Grand Canyon for a couple hours. 

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 New Reader
3/7/18 6:23 p.m.

We stopped in Las Cruzes and went to the Farm and ranch museum. We thought it was cool. 

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 New Reader
3/7/18 6:28 p.m.

Then we wanted to check out some property in NM. 

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 New Reader
3/7/18 6:32 p.m.

Then it was cold and snowing at the Grand Canyon when we got there. 

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 New Reader
3/7/18 6:38 p.m.

We left the Grand Canyon and drove until we got to Monterey CA. Then we took Hwy 1 for a little bit and went to San Francisco. 

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 New Reader
3/7/18 6:44 p.m.

Went to the Zoo and then went to the airport to pick up our friend. 

Type Q
Type Q SuperDork
3/12/18 6:23 p.m.
bigfranks84 said:

We left the Grand Canyon and drove until we got to Monterey CA. Then we took Hwy 1 for a little bit and went to San Francisco. 

If you were going north on 280 when you took these pictures, you drove within about 2 miles of my house. 

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 New Reader
3/20/18 10:13 p.m.

In reply to Type Q :

I was going north. And I doubt there is another house and budda like that. 

I don't envy you on cost of living there. Talk about sticker shock on everyday items. Is pretty though

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
F7P6yjVqFkzEmVuSWxZkkKjYKPSKiDP2VEvUgPVqMZZhI0UgfXT7LkkRORgiWYbH