Toyman01 MegaDork
1/20/16 7:00 p.m.

In reply to Son_Of_Toyman:

See, you are meaner than I am.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
1/20/16 8:54 p.m.

Slight change in the itinerary.

The original plan had me working a half day on Friday, picking up the rental and driving through Friday night. That would have let me get by with a one day rental. The more I think about it, I'm going to pick up the rental Thursday and we will leave Charleston at 2am Friday morning which should put us in WI about 4pm. We will pick up the bus Friday afternoon and drive down to Milwaukee and rent a hotel room for the night. Saturday morning we will turn in the rental and hit the road. Hopefully, Milwaukee to Mt Vernon KY will happen Saturday, and Mt Vernon, KY to Charleston, SC will happen Sunday.

patgizz
patgizz PowerDork
1/20/16 9:28 p.m.

good luck, i can't help along that route so i fare the well.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
1/20/16 9:47 p.m.

http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/milwaukee

Currently, the sun will set just before 5pm central so be prepared that you will likely first see the bus in the dark or at best just slightly in daylight.
If it is cloudy, and I'll bet 100:1 it is, it will be dark before 5pm.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
1/20/16 9:52 p.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

That's Ok. If I saw it during the day, I'd probably stroke out on the spot.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid Dork
1/20/16 9:55 p.m.

ok, i seem to have missed everything in this tread of the making of a new epic road trip. i heard something about a bus up north of me and driveing it back somewhere and when? I am on the border of wisconsin and ILL...about 20 mints north of old tin. I can offer to do photos as you drive though for everyone on the board to see this thing in all its ugly glory.

Son_Of_Toyman
Son_Of_Toyman New Reader
1/21/16 7:31 a.m.

In reply to ckosacranoid:

Don't worry there will be plenty of photos. I want all of yall to SEE how crazy this is. I think this will be epic and I am stoked to be going. Although when I told my wife about it she just said "That sounds like something yall would do."

eebasist
eebasist Reader
1/21/16 8:49 a.m.

Careful with the weather. Supposed to get plenty of snow/ice in KY

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
1/21/16 8:56 a.m.
eebasist wrote: Careful with the weather. Supposed to get plenty of snow/ice in KY

I had a look at the forecast.

I could not find the "Holy E36 M3 Batman" emoticon.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
1/21/16 9:34 a.m.

Given the forecast, this might be moving from "Epic" to "flat out crazy." Be careful out there.

In Reply to Son_Of_Toyman: I was telling my wife about your upcoming adventure and she said "They really are your people." LOL.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
1/21/16 9:36 a.m.

Wait, its THIS weekend?

rslifkin
rslifkin Reader
1/21/16 9:55 a.m.

Looks like time to throw a set of these on to tackle the weather: http://www.michelintruck.com/tires-and-retreads/selector/#!/info/xdn2

They don't recommend them for the front axle, but I don't see why it would be an issue.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
1/21/16 10:33 a.m.

29-31. The weather then doesn't look too horrible.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid Dork
1/21/16 10:38 a.m.

good luck guys, should be fun to read about this weekend.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
1/21/16 10:40 a.m.

Magic Bus

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
1/21/16 10:46 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: 29-31. The weather then doesn't look too horrible.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
1/21/16 10:58 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

oh. yeah, that's a much better idea!

egnorant
egnorant SuperDork
1/21/16 4:54 p.m.

I am a big fan of Buy n Drive stories. But, I have noticed something. They all seem to be Fords. Econoline van, Maverick, 56 bus, tow truck and I am currently tracking a 1977 Mustang from Michigan to California. I did spot an Auburn, but it was trailered to a shop and repaired for a few months first.

Has this become a new rite of passage or maybe a bucketlist item. I kinda find myself looking differently at those cool cars in Atlanta now!

Bruce

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
1/21/16 5:17 p.m.

Because old Fords are the only make than can do the buy and drive thing.

Stampie
Stampie Reader
1/21/16 5:58 p.m.

I was thinking it's because Fords are the only ones that would make it interesting with breakdowns. You can jump into any Chevy and drive cross country only adding gas.

XLR99
XLR99 HalfDork
1/21/16 6:02 p.m.
Apexcarver wrote: Wait, its THIS weekend?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
1/21/16 6:09 p.m.

PM sent, standing by

classicJackets
classicJackets Reader
1/21/16 6:46 p.m.
ultraclyde wrote: In Reply to Son_Of_Toyman: I was telling my wife about your upcoming adventure and she said "They really are your people." LOL.

I got that from my family after describing the first post and (coincidentally) Toyman's response in the 1st Wife...not happy about the 2nd Volvo thread

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
1/21/16 6:54 p.m.
XLR99 wrote:

That's priceless. The girls in disbelief, the guy is like "Awe Yeah!!!."

Doc Brown
Doc Brown Dork
1/21/16 7:32 p.m.

Epic road trip!

I'm not sure how helpful this is, but if you encounter trouble and need to stash the bus,I can offer a safe location to park it. Jackson Michigan is 46 miles north of 80/90... if you take that rout.

Best of luck!

4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
M7pekV8UsUKY4YVQymfSADvFQ4CBEPOxtELxw33zKXng0OP6O3wBoHSHSLnz98e3