pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/10/23 2:44 p.m.

What I want is a base Ford Maverick, what I have budget for is a POS Ford Ranger.  The backstory is that I am losing my 3rd vehicle, which is often used when a primary vehicle is in the shop or I want to keep the EN out of the snow.  When I think about what I could use, a truck seems to make sense. I have a large minivan, so it's not about hauling, its about tossing garbage and mulch and dead appliances and such into the bed. 4WD would be useful, but is not a requirement. Automatic would be best, but a stick is fine too. 

Should I just find a rust-free Toyota and be done with it? Is a GM truck with a 3400 V6 pretty bulletproof? Is a Suzuki which is really a Nissan a good option? Are Honda trucks cheap yet? 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
3/10/23 3:04 p.m.

An s10 with a 3400 or 3800 swap would be cool!

Otherwise, just find the nicest small trucklet you can find.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
3/10/23 3:20 p.m.

I've seen the Chevy Colorado highly regarded here.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
3/10/23 4:52 p.m.

How old and big can this be? I'm not that far away from you and I have a 7.3 PS F250 that's pretty close to your budget.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/14/23 10:01 a.m.
BoxheadTim said:

How old and big can this be? I'm not that far away from you and I have a 7.3 PS F250 that's pretty close to your budget.

While I appreciate that, I feel that a full-size truck will be harder on consumables financially. I have access to a full-sized GM van whenever I need, so a 4CYL small truck is what I am aiming for. 

All I see are Dodge Dakotas, which tells me that they are more disposable than other brands. Nissan Frontiers are the second most popular, and I have not seen a GM product yet, which means they are either bulletproof or all dead already. 

I am therefore expanding my options a bit, maybe a mini-mini-van? 

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 HalfDork
3/14/23 9:15 p.m.

Last-generation S10.  They still exist in the NE.  2.2L engine isn't a thriller but they wear well.  Many of the standard cab 4x2 trucks have automatics.

Replacement sheet metal is ridiculously cheap.  They even get good fuel economy.

Oh and bonus for the fact you can throw a set of lowering springs up front and some drop blocks on the back and have a "cool" trucklet for under $200 additional invested.  

Or, bonus bonus and do the above and get any number of GM takeoff wheels from Corvettes, Camaros or Firebird and add them to the lowered suspension.

temick
temick New Reader
3/18/23 9:13 p.m.

I would highly recommend a Toyota. I drive a sequoia and it tows really nicely. It has 265000 miles and has only had brakes, plugs, mass air meter, valve cover gaskets and one timing belt.

But when I managed an AutoZone I regularly saw Tundras and Sequoias with over 400k.

The bad is 16 miles a gallon.

Crxpilot
Crxpilot HalfDork
3/21/23 9:06 p.m.

I test drove this truck in Lubbock, TX last week.  NMNA

https://www.kdmotorslubbock.com/details/used-1995-toyota-tacoma/92435774

https://lubbock.craigslist.org/cto/d/lubbock-1995-toyota-tacoma/7598958025.html

Same truck in both ads.  KD is the janky dealer selling it.  He'll take $2500 before TTL.  Rust free but needs cats and/or O2 sensors.  Also the right front was smacked at some point.  Pulls to the right and the tire is set in about an inch or so.  Power windows and locks for some reason.

Got potential?

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
3/21/23 9:49 p.m.

I have had good luck with Colorados and Rangers. Both of my Colorados had the I5 and went almost 400k as work trucks. My youngest is still driving one of them and it keeps on trucking with minimal maintenance or on care. The Ranger I still have is the 3l v6 and it's approaching 300k. 

I also had a Ridgeline that my eldest bought from me. It just keeps going and is the best of the 3. They are getting down there but may be over the budget. 

I would buy the best condition vs a particular brand. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fgyDiT05LyFG8Nz4th5fWTlIMiIjKCP9Ilahhq2IvHa9BiV9vfa7EWZx3OSYHXa1