1 2 3
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/21/20 5:21 p.m.

When I was shopping running boards in this thread, Pat recommended iBoard brand of aluminum running boards.  Three years later, I am still very happy with them. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
12/21/20 6:14 p.m.
Indy "Nub" Guy said:

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

Congratulations!

And you should 100% sell the XJR, to me.  Seriously.

Hey you've already got an R! What about those of us who don't have an R and would totally give Robbie's a good home laugh

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
12/21/20 6:32 p.m.

In reply to clutchsmoke :

This is all very true. 

However I've been trying to buy Robbie's XJR ever since I first saw it in person during the Saab-Ute hack Midwest build party he hosted.  That was about 4 or 5 years ago.

His car is a beautiful shade of British Racing Green with tan interior.  Georgous color combination.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
12/21/20 7:03 p.m.

In reply to Indy "Nub" Guy :

So what will you do with the current R in the stable?

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
12/21/20 7:08 p.m.
Indy "Nub" Guy said:

In reply to clutchsmoke :

This is all very true. 

However I've been trying to buy Robbie's XJR ever since I first saw it in person during the Saab-Ute hack Midwest build party he hosted.  That was about 4 or 5 years ago.

His car is a beautiful shade of British Racing Green with tan interior.  Georgous color combination.

My fellow xjr owners, there's a black x308 xjr being parted out down the street from me. It has 50k-ish miles on it!  

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Reader
12/22/20 9:54 a.m.

My 2014 F150 is the XLT model.  I'm glad it doesn't have fancy features like power running boards, sunroof and ventilated seats to break.  Seriously though, it's the best truck I've owned.  The Leer running boards that came stock on mine are great.

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
12/22/20 10:04 a.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) said:

Just a thought, there are plenty of non-powered aftermarket running boards available for these trucks, relatively cheaply. American Trucks online has them as low as a couple hundred bucks with free shipping. Are the powered ones impossible to remove or something?

No, they look easy to remove (same 4 bolts on each side as the non-powered ones, and then I'm assuming an electrical connector). I might go that route if I can't get the automatic ones to work. 

Stepping into the truck is actually quite annoying without the running board if the weather is mucky and you're wearing nice pants. 

Can you try to manually deploy them and lock them in place so they always stay extended? I would try and do that unless they extend out further than the regular ones. 

STM317
STM317 UberDork
12/22/20 10:27 a.m.

Stepping into the truck is actually quite annoying without the running board if the weather is mucky and you're wearing nice pants.

If you lower the truck, you won't need running boards...

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
12/22/20 10:29 a.m.

Robbie 

beautiful truck! Congrats. Has there been any big ticket items in 210k miles ? 

these 5.4 v8 are more reliable than the Ecoboost options ? 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/22/20 10:59 a.m.
STM317 said:

I would love to lower it. Seems a bit of a waste with 4wd, but for my intended usage which does not include rock crawling (often) it would probably be a nice improvement to the truck. 

It would need to come down a lot (4-6 inches? more?) before not having running boards would be an easy climb.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
12/22/20 11:03 a.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

Robbie 

I really don't think so. I haven't heard of anything big from my in laws, except a handful of non-powertrain related items. 

HVAC blend doors (big dash-out project), steering shaft ($500+ repair, I don't know what all was involved), one of the rear windows randomly exploded very early in the truck's life - replaced under warrantee, that's about all  know about. And the sunroof and the running boards, which they didn't pay to have fixed. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
12/23/20 10:15 a.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

Robbie 

I really don't think so. I haven't heard of anything big from my in laws, except a handful of non-powertrain related items. 

HVAC blend doors (big dash-out project), steering shaft ($500+ repair, I don't know what all was involved), one of the rear windows randomly exploded very early in the truck's life - replaced under warrantee, that's about all  know about. And the sunroof and the running boards, which they didn't pay to have fixed. 

Thanks! Our farm truck tacoma lease expires in April and we need a new bigger truck. My option is lease a tundra sbd wait for new upgraded model and buy in two years or get a v8 f150, this was asking 

appreciate the heads up 

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
12/23/20 10:32 a.m.
STM317 said:

I would love to lower it. Seems a bit of a waste with 4wd, but for my intended usage which does not include rock crawling (often) it would probably be a nice improvement to the truck. 

It would need to come down a lot (4-6 inches? more?) before not having running boards would be an easy climb.

I have a 2016 F150 4x4 and that is stupid high.  I have never off roadbed any truck. I don't want to. Why isn't there a not high option?  

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
12/23/20 11:14 a.m.

Marketability of big trucks is obviously part of it, but I wonder if part of it is evolution of suspension and frame design to increase capability. Higher payloads and towing require stouter frames and bigger suspension. Add that to the trend toward bigger wheels and tires even for street vehicles, and height goes up. 
Not that modern capability is really needed by most, but we've beat that horse to death in other threads. But a lower truck would require design optimized for different things than most customers want these days. 

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
12/23/20 12:07 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

RWD trucks tend to be lower than 4x4 options. 

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/23/20 1:34 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

If you've never had a truck off the pavement, why did you buy a 4x4 truck?

4x4s sit higher. It's what they are. Partly for ground clearance when off road. 

If you want a lower truck, buy a 2wd version. 

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
12/23/20 2:40 p.m.

5-9 inches.  Plus see that big cruiser? Wanna try to pull that up the slippery ramp with 2 wheel drive?  

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
12/26/20 10:14 p.m.

So this is the new truck. Swanky. I am curious how your rocker replacement goes (assuming you do it) as my jeep needs rockers really bad. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
11/12/22 11:12 a.m.

Going to post some updates. Any chance a mod could move this to the new tow vehicle subforum for me?

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
11/12/22 12:07 p.m.

In reply to SVreX (Forum Supporter) :

My 03 F350 FX4 has the next larger tires, and is otherwise stock. It clears our carport by 1 1/2" at the back of the cab the 11 F150 100% stock (including tires) bairly cleared by 1/2". 
As a guy that actually uses a truck for truck like things, I think it's ridiculous and completely frivolous for a 1/2 ton (by nomenclature) to be that tall, for no reason except the factory polls the mall crawlers instead of truck users. 
In the us, the marketing department obviously listens to the part of society that prefers to look like something they are not. Must be right they are still in business

side note... they are also "rated" to tow the same amount... proof that marketing tow ratings are unreliable at best, and dangerous in this case!

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
11/12/22 12:23 p.m.

Well, let's post some updates. From the first post when we bought the truck almost 2 years ago.

#1 - I "fixed" the running boards.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/f150-power-running-board-fix-has-no-one-done-this-before/190132/page1/

#2 - I've done jack about the sunroof. Button still taped over.

#3 - I've also done not much about the rust. Though hopefully that will shortly change. I ordered some quick covers ($100 discount in this November!) And I have a plan for the front and rear bumpers.

#4 - Windshield has not gotten worse. So it stays.

#5 - Tires have been fine so far, and I've done the 10k miles I predicted. They're still a couple 32nds above the wear bars, but I decided to get some new rolling stock while I can maybe still sell the existing wheels and tires for something. I did end up grabbing some takeoffs from a 2021. Taken off by dealership who installed lift kit for customer on brand new truck. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
11/12/22 12:27 p.m.

Other updates have been made that weren't on my list. For example, I did install a Ford trailer brake controller. Having used it for 2 trips to Florida and back, it works acceptably. Brakes on rental trailers are not exactly always in top shape.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/2010-ford-integrated-trailer-brake-worth-it/186891/page1/

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
11/12/22 12:30 p.m.

The last problem I need to list is the truck has an exhaust leak that is getting worse slowly. I'm a bit scared to dive in, and I really don't want it to be a leak at the head to exhaust manifold connection.

But I probably need to do something about it sooner or later. 

I also still want to do a lowering kit. We'll see.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
11/12/22 12:37 p.m.

I had not noticed that I was reading and respiring to a 2 year old thread... but in my defense, at least Robbie resurrected his own! 
Great looking truck, and glad it's working well for ya. 
I had plans on lowering my wife's truck, but never did get her talked into it. Would still do fine for any 4wd needs, and not been crazy tall like ford makes em now. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
11/12/22 12:54 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

What kills the running boards is trying to move when they are frozen shut or open ( both will happen in Chicago).  
     You'll need the running boards.  Your wife will really appreciate them especially in the winter.  Jumping down can result in slipping and falling  in icy conditions.   Far safer to gingerly step off.
      If they are kept in a heated garage and  cleaned & lubricated periodically  they are well worth the effort.  

Second, flex fuel.   That is one of the hidden gems.   You can really save a lot of money using that carefully.   
     On my Flex Fuel Ford Pickup.  It costs me two MPG  in fuel mileage but saves about $20 a tank full in cost.  So after adjusting for savings versus costs I wind up about $10 ahead per tank full.  
    It's not always that because like here Ethanol winds up being between 51% and85% ethanol.  Obviously the more ethanol the worse the fuel mileage is. 
    To know when to buy E85 and  when to buy regular. Listen to the price of crude oil.  As crude gets up in price you are more likely to get 85% than 51% 

Same  with corn prices.  The higher corn goes the lower the percentage of ethanol  is likely to be.   
      But then there is the FUN of E85.  
    A nice full tank of straight E 85 is really hard on your back tires. We are talking about smokin".  Big silly grins for all the extra power.  
       Also if you are hauling a heavy load uphill in the middle of the summer. You want E85 keeping that engine cool.  
    Do switch back and forth between Regular and E85.   E85  will clean the deposits on the back side of intake valves  that regular puts there and help keep the spark plugs clean.  
    Now the bad stuff about E85 

Your oil will get slightly diluted using E85.  So instead of going 7500 miles between oil changes like the owners manual says. I change my oil at 5000 miles.  When I use a lot of E85. 
      Storing E85 a long time will suck in more water than Regular will.  It's not like water doesn't get in regular, it does.  Both at the refinery & the gas station tanks and just sitting around.  Remember your gas tank is vented. 
    It's just that E85 will absorb more water than regular gas will. So over a month it might be wise to top off the tank with some regular. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
30niqtZ9o95yCrvJm48l4sV3wgIehC4yqXjhHx1XXSnPPXz7mlhwg0VOXRtrZDie